• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

how much tds is to much

i was trying to figure out why i have red slime algae so i tested my RO water.i have 5tds comming out of my RO unit and my 10g ato tank has a tds of 30-40.
is it time to change my ro membrane? the ro membranes are pretty expensive though, would i be alright just replacing the other cartridges and the DI?
is 5 tds rely somthing to be worried about or am i just bugging and this has nothing to do with the red slime.
also is it normal for tds to rise after sitting in the ato tank?

Depending on the type of unit you have, and how many gallons of water you have run through the system, you may be able to backwash it.

I have a typhoon III from air water ice, and it has a backwash ability. My TDS rose to about 7 and I ran it on backwash for a couple of hours and it cleared it out. TDS back to 0. I test it regularly though, just to stay on top of it because I'm sure I will need a cartridge swap soon. Honestly, though, I've only had to replace the cartridges once, and I've been running the unit for about 2 1/2 years now.

If you don't have that option, then replacing the filtration and DI cartridges are the way to go. As vangvace said, your membrane should be fine.