• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

how to glue plexiglass and water seal it?

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
anyone here work with plexiglass and bonding sheets together then water sealing it i heard silicone doesnt stick well to it and itll fall eventually but GE silicone supposedly stays on anyone do this?

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I think you have to use a solvent to bond acrylic- someone here will tell you what to use I'm sure. I've used 'aquarium safe silicone' for making in tank sumps- anything that doesn't have pressure on it- wouldn't trust any silicone for sealing acrylic against water pressure

erics210

NJRC Member
nightmarepl, where you located? Place in Nyack NY or Nanuet NY that makes acrylic. they sell weldon jars. weldon 4 and 16

like PVC containers.

Only order what you need as it evaporates within a few months if not

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
nightmarepl, where you located? Place in Nyack NY or Nanuet NY that makes acrylic. they sell weldon jars. weldon 4 and 16

like PVC containers.

Only order what you need as it evaporates within a few months if not
im in hopatcong about 45 minutes from Nanuet

Don’t use Weldon 16 to bond acrylic if u want to build anything to hold water.. weldon 4 or weldon 3 alternatively u can use chemicals to make solvent but this is more complicated

erics210

NJRC Member
I thought the main difference was working time between 4 and 16.

I have used both, hence I just mentioned both.

I thought the main difference was working time between 4 and 16.

I have used both, hence I just mentioned both.
The working time deference is between 4 and 3, 4 gives you little more time then 3. 16 is more like glue And doesn’t melt acrylic while bonding which gives you weaker seam.