• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How to price fish and corals?

Hi everyone,
Unfortunately we will be moving with tentative plans on this spring/summer and it's just not feasible for me to move my tank and livestock so I will be selling it all off before we move. That said I've never been very much into the online trade of the hobby so I don't really know where the standard is on prices so I would appreciate any advice you might have. My biggest question is how much to be selling my corals and anemones for. I have no idea what their official names are for their coloring which makes it a bit more difficult. I'll also be putting my equipment up for sale. Not all pictures are up to date because I don't know where my color corrector lens is at the moment.

livestock
rock
Pair of clownfish, babies in March 2018
six line wrasse
bangaii cardinal (has been seen with eggs)
clown and neon gobies

condy anemone that likes to wander
mature rock flower anemone-
two juvenile rock flower anatomies
duncan, tennis ball sized 13 heads
trumpet coral, 8 heads
frogspawn- 12 mouths tennis ball sized
hammer - 3 mouths- slightly larger than tennis ball
galaxia- walnut sized
Misc frags and CUC

And how would I go about the zoas growing on the live rock?
I'll most likely be figuring out how to pay my dues to the reef club so I could start posting soon but I'd like to know where to start on the prices.

The tank-75reef ready, stand, sump-40b, and equipment will also be going up once I sell off livestock.

Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 12.36.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-03 at 12.37.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-03 at 12.38.14 PM.png

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Need to become a paid member in order to sell items on the forum. Aside from that, price them as you see fit

There simply is NO formula. Some people price things like they they are a store and think they will make some silly crazy profit on there USED stuff. Others simply give it away. It’s truly up to the individual. And then of course age and quality of what you have is a huge factor. In the end. Price generally tends to be the single biggest factor in how fast or how slow you get your stuff sold. Personally. Fifty percent. Is often a fair number. For quick sale of general live stock. But equipment that is used is always a big risk for the buyer. You may be the greatest reefer in the world and take care of your equipment like a factory rep. But this hobby is absolutely brutal on equipment. Between salt water, calcium, electricity, lime, head pressure and just the general brutal environment that all the equipment is operated in... and to top it off. Warranties are often gone. The buyer is clearly taking a risk that the best years of what they are buying is long gone. Of course some items will last quite a few years and others will fail what seems like over night. Personally, this is a hobby for me and I Don’t begrudge Anyone for selling anything. I Have purchased lots of used stuff. But I have also given away a ton of stuff and revived a ton of stuff for free and have met and made some real nice friends thru this hobby. For me, the info, knowledge and Friendships this extremely challenging hobby has given me coupled along with the small successful steps I have made. Are payment enough for the frustration that the money and failures have challenged me with.
Sooo.... I know it stinks and not what you were looking for. But that’s it in a nut shell... no formula... no standard... completely on the seller and how and what reefing has meant to them. In the end you can’t be wrong so my advice. Is make it simple on yourself and sell stuff for what you would be willing to pay for any used item you wanted to buy. Best of luck and enjoy the ride because. YOU WILL BE BACK lol. It may be a while. But when your all settled in after your move The itch will show up and your going to want to take it to the next level.