• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How to tell if you need a water (RODI unit) filter change?

Hey guys,

How dirty can the filters get before you need to replace them?

I have had my AWI Typhoon III now since Oct or Nov 08 and I use about 30-40 gallons of water every two weeks. I tend to fill up a 32g brute to the inner line once every two weeks for my WC. Then in-between I fill up a 5 gallon bucket with top-off water about once a week - give or take. I never flush the unit, but I realize that I probably should..

If you look at the picture below you can see the two edge filters are getting murky. I have 100+PSI coming in, but it's valved down to 70-75psi and output pressure on the pure side has always been pathetic, but I guess that's normal (roughly 4 1/2 gals in about 1 1/2 hours+).

Thanks guys!

filterApril09-vi.jpg

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A TDS meter is probably the best way to test it. You can also tell by your pressure gauge, if your pressure drops you probably need to change out a filter.

Brian:

THanks! It did come with a TDS meter but it just stopped working shortly after I received it (about a month). Looking on the AWI website, it seems like the 4 bottom filters really have little to do with TDS measurements as that is left to the resin?

Thanks!
Ben

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, they all work together. If your filters are dirty then you DI resin will get used up faster. I have a Dual inline TDS meter I have it testing the water coming out of the RO membrane and then again after the DI. This way I can see how my filters are holding up as opposed to the DI resin.

That first filter needs to be changed for sure.