• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How's everyone making out (roll call)

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My power is still out! I just got off the phone with PSE&G and they are telling me it won't be turned on until at least Sat. (another week). I been running my generator 7X24. I had a Vortech Battery backup that failed 5 minutes into the outage (if you have one there is no warning before the battery dies, I expected the capacity to diminsh not for it to die totally). Lost all my SPS colonies and chalices. I had a problem with the carb float sticking on the generator and had to pull it apart in the middle of the storm! It took a while and the water temp dropped down below 70. So far the generator has cost in excess of $120 to run. I hope gas gets easier to find. I curently have 2 neighbors running off my gen and have a sign out for anyone who needs their cell phones charged (I've had about 20 takers so far). Just glad everyone is safe.

Bob

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
My power is still out! I just got off the phone with PSE&G and they are telling me it won't be turned on until at least Sat. (another week). I been running my generator 7X24. I had a Vortech Battery backup that failed 5 minutes into the outage (if you have one there is no warning before the battery dies, I expected the capacity to diminsh not for it to die totally). Lost all my SPS colonies and chalices. I had a problem with the carb float sticking on the generator and had to pull it apart in the middle of the storm! It took a while and the water temp dropped down below 70. So far the generator has cost in excess of $120 to run. I hope gas gets easier to find. I curently have 2 neighbors running off my gen and have a sign out for anyone who needs their cell phones charged (I've had about 20 takers so far). Just glad everyone is safe.

Bob

Bob

I have gas if you want. Bring buckets and I can give you some.

Sunny

I was lucky to get a generator. Was price gouged though and paid $1600 for a $1000 unit. Happy to have it though. I ran it all day and turned it off at night in fear of looters stealing it. Valid concern by the way. It cost me about $50 a day to power the whole house. My only tank loss was most of my snails. Guessing they couldn't handle the 3 degree temperature change every day. Power is back and trying to gain some normalcy. My heart goes out to all who had it much worse than I did. I hope you all recover quickly in these trying times.

kevin

NJRC Member
power went back out at 11am today. seems to be trucks down the street.. better get power back today! Had to run home and throw in the battery air pump & blanket the tank.. ugh.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
power went back out at 11am today. seems to be trucks down the street.. better get power back today! Had to run home and throw in the battery air pump & blanket the tank.. ugh.

This happend to me too for about 45 mins the other day. They have to shut down some areas to work on others. Scared the heck out of me at the time.

Mark - good to hear you are ok. So sorry about the house. Is FEMA at least helping with alternate housing?

I'm listening to the news say that you are supposed to keep the generator '20 feet' from the house. If I did that it would be that much closer for some jerk to load into his/her car and leave. I also shut down my generator at night because of fear of looting and also because I wanted to save gas given the craziness.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
spoke to paul (redfish blue fish) today. He still has no power is running his generator 24 - 7. Butr besides that he is okay. No interent either so that is why he is not posting

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Well
I dont know how but I ended up VERY lucky,no power for 7 days tank water was freezing temps in the 50's.
I lost my Aussie rainbow hammer,aussie rainbow elegance and a super nice aussie orange hammer from anthony and teri and 1 firefish,all other fish and corals look like they may make it.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Power came back on this morning. I was out changing the oil and filling up the generator when two JCP&L trucks drove down the street. Two hours later we had power. ::Happy Dance::

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Everyone who just bought a generator, make sure you change out the oil after the first 5 hours of use.

It depends on brand and model. You should go my the manual. I have a generac and it says 30 hours after first use.

Sunny

Also make sure you drain the gas or use fuel stabilizer to prevent the gas from going bad in the tank.

As previously post, I'm switch to a tri-fuel carburetor. A number of places sell them for all makes if generators. I'm going to have a plumber put an external natural gas line outside so I will have 3 options for running it the next time this happens. I think I've wasted at least 5-6 hours on gas lines this week.

But I'm thankful that friends and family are all safe.

Going on day 8 with no power yet. I am hopeful tomorrow will be the day. The SPS are looking a little less bright today so I plan to keep the generator going through the night. Propane delivery came today and I have a tree guy taking the three 80+ foot spruce down in the back tomorrow. With the next storm coming they will most likely hit the house and I am not in the mood for a sky light!

We are still without power and they are saying it will be another 7-10 days until it is restored. My sps arent looking too hot and I had turned my leds down to 50% to try and conserve some energy. I did pick up a much bigger generator on saturday so I am ramping up the leds every day now as well as my tank temps have come up from 74 to 78 since I was able to get heat in the house again with the new generator. Fortunately I havent lost any fish and I have actually gained two new ones.....I found some baby bangai cardinals in the tank. I found 4 last monday and tonight I only see 2 left but the good news is they are eating cyclopeeze and trying to take down some brine shrimp as well.

We are still without power and they are saying it will be another 7-10 days until it is restored. My sps arent looking too hot and I had turned my leds down to 50% to try and conserve some energy. I did pick up a much bigger generator on saturday so I am ramping up the leds every day now as well as my tank temps have come up from 74 to 78 since I was able to get heat in the house again with the new generator. Fortunately I havent lost any fish and I have actually gained two new ones.....I found some baby bangai cardinals in the tank. I found 4 last monday and tonight I only see 2 left but the good news is they are eating cyclopeeze and trying to take down some brine shrimp as well.

Let us know if we can help.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Still no power! I'm worried that with the new storm coming Wed. that I'll never get power back. I was wondering if the people that had their power restored lose it again I'll be pushed back down the list and go without power even after Friday (PSEG ETA for power).

Bob

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Mark - good to hear you are ok. So sorry about the house. Is FEMA at least helping with alternate housing?

I'm listening to the news say that you are supposed to keep the generator '20 feet' from the house. If I did that it would be that much closer for some jerk to load into his/her car and leave. I also shut down my generator at night because of fear of looting and also because I wanted to save gas given the craziness.

Phil,
FEMA denied housing for me and the family. I am working with flood and homers owners to see what they can do. In the meantime staying with friends. It will be awhile before I am up and running with my tank. Need all the cleaning and repairs to get done. Luckily my cousin does construction and I am first on his list. I can get some peace this way knowing someone I trust is doing the work.

Steve I have power if that can help, am back by the ACME, being first off the grid helps. Update, Manasquans bad, 98% no power expected, 66 houses so far condemned, gonna be alot more and this is a small town. The Acme and 7-11, CVS have power and supply's. The Elks Club is now a distribution center for food and basics. My Taxis are taking family's to emergency centers and back. Now starting to move them west away from the shore, Nor Easter gonna be bad, plan on staying open till it gets unsafe, a lot of people will wait last minute to evac out. All the tanks 20+ are lost in town that I know of. National Guard is active here and residents are are working together, most are very quiet, a nod works works well. Back to work.
Gregory