• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

hydnophora- will it grow?

attached is a pic of what i was told is Hydnophora.. again I aquired these corals from a friend who got rid of his nano because he is starting a new tank. So now im trying to figure out what some of them are.

Does this look like its in good shape? the dark parts of it seem to have raised in the last few weeks and the green seems a little brighter. Im wondering if it will pull through. Anyone have any thoughts on these

Hydnophora is a relatively hardy coral. Given a fair amount of water movement and mid to lower lighting, it should flourish. Keep in mind too though, that it is a fairly harmful coral, and it will shoot out filaments when a neighboring coral gets close. It looks to be in good shape, but you'll notice that it creep over the sides of the disc first before it starts growing its thick branches. Your lighting is fine, just make sure it's indirect

I think they are one of the very interesting corals in my tank. Very hardy - mine was half dead due to falling on another coral but came back stronger. The branches can be fragile and brake easily but then take that branch and wedge it somewhere else and watch it grow.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Green would probably do fine, even with stock light. It isn't a very demanding coral, IME. No offense intended, but I can't believe anyone would sell hydno frags that small.

Thanks Phyl. Obviously I have no idea how big this thing is, but going by your post I take it that getting one is a bad idea.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It isn't a bad idea, but people usually grab a branch when they frag them, so I was a bit surprised by its size. They grow at a decent clip (but best to keep them in the sand so that they are easy to remove/trim as needed). They can be quite agressive.

Here's mine
IMG_2635.jpg

been going good for two weeks so far. It really puffs up.

Fingers crossed.

Treo360 said:
Here's mine
IMG_2635.jpg

been going good for two weeks so far. It really puffs up.

Fingers crossed.

Hey thats my frag ;D

Looks like it's doin well in there!! It should start to grow up and out soon!!