• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hydor 3's leaking voltage!!

Anyone else running Hydors notice them leaking voltage?

I was adjusting my skimmer a little while ago and put my hand in my sump and got a shock. I had my older son come down and pull the plugs on my heaters and pumps one by one to find out what was leaking voltage and the shock stopped when he unplugged my Hydor's. I tested each of them in my tub of RO/DI water that I have made up and sure enough, both of them shocked me. Seems odd that both of them started leaking voltage at the same time, but I checked them out individualy and both had the same problem. I'm just glad the tank is still cyclying so I didn't have any fish or corals in it yet.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That was a problem with the older 2's and 3's that's why Hydor recalled them. How long ago did you purchase them? I would contact who you got the from and have them switched out for the newer models.

Actually, I bought them about the time of when they were having problems, but I just got my new tank in the beginging of April so I didn't start using them until a few weeks ago. They seemed fine up to now. This just seemed to happen all of a sudden.

I sent an e-mail to the vendor I purchased them from. Hopefully they will be able to help me out with getting replacements.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Theres a few week back order on them now. Do you have something to replace them with for now?

No, but I could probably go without them while the tank finishes it's cycle. I think I'm still at least a few weeks away from being ready to put anything in the tank.

I got in touch with Hydor. The gentleman I spoke with was very helpfull. He told me to send the pumps back and they would replace them as soon as the get the ones I'm returning, so hopefully I'll have them back before the tank finishes it's cycle. He also told me that the new 2's, 3's, and 4's all have ceramic shafts now as opposed to the metal ones in the older models (not that the shaft was the problem with the voltage leak) and all the motors are fully epoxy sealed so that there shouldn't be any more problems with them.

I'm sooo happy this happened before I had any fish and corals in the tank. The shock I got wasn't that bad, kind of like putting a 9v battery on your tounge, just sent a tingle through my hand and wrist. I could only imagine what it would have done to the fish and corals though.

Keep in mind its always good to have a gound in filter. Because sometimes it happens voltage leaks, broken glass heaters and so forth.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would read more info on the ground probes. IT doesn't let you know that you have a ground break. I rather get a little shock and fix the problem.

True, I wouldn't have know I had a problem with the Hydor's if I had a ground probe and didn't get shocked. Guess it's good to get your hands wet even if it sends a tingle up your arm, lol :)

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
For most people yes. If you know your fish and corals well, you can tell if even the temp. is up a degree. Just like Xenia in a tank, when it don't look happy, most people know theres something wrong with their tank.With more experience, you'll know if theres anything wrong.