• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hydros Vs Apex

Anyone on here have both and can explain which is better in their own personal opinion/experience?

From what i have read, Apex has more stuff available at the moment bc it's been out longer. While Hydros has better technology, more affordable, and works with other products and not just coralvue stuff.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I only have apex Expirience. I would say that both of these products will work. I also think it’s better to have any controller instead of none. From my Expirience with other coral vue products I would say their help desk is horrible.
I have use the app as well and it’s very clunky compared to apex fusion. At this time I believe that BRS will develop a cheap version $200-$299 version of apex el-mo
Is what they called it last time. The last time they did it
Apex el-mo was created just to monitor ph/temp/water level

I only have apex Expirience. I would say that both of these products will work. I also think it’s better to have any controller instead of none. From my Expirience with other coral vue products I would say their help desk is horrible.
I have use the app as well and it’s very clunky compared to apex fusion. At this time I believe that BRS will develop a cheap version $200-$299 version of apex el-mo
Is what they called it last time. The last time they did it
Apex el-mo was created just to monitor ph/temp/water level

My big thing with controllers is that i don't really understand what their whole purpose is. Is it to be able to remotely turn things on and off? Wouldn't a simple smart power strip also work for that? Or is there something else that sets them apart that makes them worth the large price tag?

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
My big thing with controllers is that i don't really understand what their whole purpose is. Is it to be able to remotely turn things on and off? Wouldn't a simple smart power strip also work for that? Or is there something else that sets them apart that makes them worth the large price tag?

Controllers give you instant information. If I want to know what my temp is in my tank I can just open the app.
If I want to know what my alk/calc/mag is I can look at an app and get that info instantly. The apex also logs that info
So if I make changes to my tank and I want to look at what my alk was 3 months ago I can get a graph and compare.

So I run t5 hybrid in two of my tanks. If the temp
Goes over 82 the T5 will shut off and send me a text.
I can also setup a fan/cooler to turn on if the temp is over
82. I can also setup that my return pumps turn off
When my leak detector detects water. It will also
Turn off the ato and skimmer and send me an email. If my ph goes over 8.3 the doser that’s dosing kalk will turn off.
If alk goes above 9 or calcium is above 460 the dos will stop dosing 2 part.

If the temp is over 82 heater all shut off.
If the temp drops to 75 I get a text email
I also have a low and a high water indicator so I get a text
When my ato water jug needs refilling.

I can auto feed my fish. I can feed small amounts of fish food. Multiple times a day. I can also feed on demand when I am not home. I can look at my fish tank on video
And see then eat when I am not home.

Last edited:
For me it’s piece of mind knowing if anything starts acting up I will be notified. A heater crapping out a skimmer overflowing which is happened a few times luckily it’s in the sump. If I have any water leaks it will notify me. It also tests my water and doses as needed. As much as I like to tinker with the tank it is pretty much hands off with the Apex. I know it’s technology and something can happen but it’s better for me than not having one. The times it will not work due to an error are FAR less than something happening if I don’t have one and my tank crashes. Not to mention I can remotely control my tank from anywhere.