• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I’m at a loss 0.17 Po4

Stephen8169301

NJRC Member
Get a phosban reactor and run some gfo.
I can try and run gfo I’m currently running chemi pure blue
If it’s a year old I doubt the po4 is leaching from dry rock anymore unless you added new.
Only thing I added was the barnacle cluster online that’s questionable
Now matter what you are feeding cut it in half. Your fish will be fine. Test weekly. water change 20% weekly. If you are using RedSea AB+ or similar amino cut it in half too.
I cut ab+ all together I only feed a cube a day
Don’t feel corals with reef roids or similar for a while or at least not more than every other week.
I gave up on reef roids awhile ago
Also, how many fish to you have?
I have 6 fish
how’s the cleanup crew?
I just recently purchased 10 hermits and a turbo snail and have a few other snails
If you've lost snails and hermits and such you may need to replenish.

erics210

NJRC Member
I can’t keep my po4 down I did a water change got it down to 0.11 put in some chemi pure blue on a hob after 24hrs it’s back up to .17 as my last thread I was looking for chaeto so my next move I just order the cpr job fuge last night won’t be coming till the 14th

What can I do in the meantime more water changes? Only so much water i can make in demand.
Ha! It's all relative I guess...was about to have a party I was at 0.48 phosphate before my water change yesterday. My all time low....

erics210

NJRC Member
Was actually great last year June at 1.64 with nitrates over 40+.

Tried lowering, and during that same time had some other issues and crashed. Picture before the crash...

Since then I have really let things go and am trying to regroup and get back on track.

Attachments

• IMG_20220617_164751740.jpg
    IMG_20220617_164751740.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 8

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
My sps actually love phosphate. I was at 0.2 and then went to 0.08 but now I'm actually trying to get it back up since my acros did better

Salted

NJRC Member
I know I’m going against the grain here but I have been battling GHA for a while I manually remove, but it always comes back and encroaches in my corals. I have dosed Vibrant in the past and it works like a charm. I do a small 13 ml dose once a week in my 120 after 3 weeks my GHA is gone. Nothing else affected in tank. I know the whole story behind Vibrant but man it works. I have tried everything for my GHA. Vibrant seems to be the only thing that works. Guess because it’s an algaecide.
All my nutrients also seem to be in check as well so not sure why the GHA likes my tank. I know, something is out of whack, but I still haven’t figured that out yet.
I’ve been having on oddly different vibrant experience. I’d been dealing with bubble algae for months. I could not get rid of it and finally gave up and went the vibrant route starting a couple months ago. The bubble algae is pretty much gone, but I’ve decided to keep going for another month to hopefully be sure it’s all gone. Don’t want a resurgence and have to start again. Now to the point/funny part - my tank during this time has been slowly being over run by gha. I have turbos, hermits, urchins and it just keeps growing. I pull, scrub and suck out with water changes yet I can’t make a dent in it. How is this possible while dosing vibrant? I’ve been talking with @DYIguy about this for weeks. It makes no sense. I finally gave up and started Reef Flux yesterday.

Last edited:
I’ve been having on oddly different vibrant experience. I’d been dealing with bubble algae for months. I could not get rid of it and finally gave up and went the vibrant route starting a couple months ago. The bubble algae is pretty much gone, but I’ve decided to keep going for another month to hopefully be sure it’s all gone. Don’t want a resurgence and have to start again. Now to the point/funny part - my tank during this time has been slowly being over run by gha. I have turbos, hermits, urchins and it just keeps growing. I pull, scrub and suck out with water changes yet I can’t make a dent in it. How is this possible while dosing vibrant? I’ve been talking with @DYIguy about this for weeks. It makes no sense. I finally gave up and started Reef Flux yesterday.
I tried Reef Flux twice. Did nothing for my GHA. Vibrant was my last resort because I was getting frustrated that whatever I was doing did nothing. Vibrant results were amazing. I no longer have any GHA thanks to it. That’s weird how it doesn’t work on your. Are you sure is GHA. I guess even it it wasn’t Vibrant should still work. I guess what they say is so true, every tank is different

Salted

NJRC Member
I tried Reef Flux twice. Did nothing for my GHA. Vibrant was my last resort because I was getting frustrated that whatever I was doing did nothing. Vibrant results were amazing. I no longer have any GHA thanks to it. That’s weird how it doesn’t work on your. Are you sure is GHA. I guess even it it wasn’t Vibrant should still work. I guess what they say is so true, every tank is different
Reasonably sure it’s gha. Even if it isn’t vibrant is an algicide so it how it’s having no affect on whatever this is confusing. It’s growing so well I wouldn’t even bother trying to up the vibrant dose. Surprised the reef flux didn’t work for you. I read so many success posts on Reef2reef, that’s why I went this route. Maybe I could try wrapping the tank for a couple day complete blackout. Next step is giving up and breaking down.

Last edited:

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I'm a softie guy- so this may mean nothithing to you. I have over a half dozen different types of leathers along with a few hammers, toadstools, mushrooms, clove polyps, palys and zoas in my 75g. At one point my PO4 was as high as .7 and nitrates 75- and none of my corals died, right now my PO4 is at .16 and nitrates are under 35- I have no sps and don't want any- too much of a headache for me- my dozen fish are all doing fine- I add NOPOX daily and Phos-E every other day- I have some GHA- but for me it's just a nuisance- some seem to obcess over eliminating it altogether- I also don't have an urchin so most of my rock that isn't covered with coral is covered with coraaline algae ( algaes don't grow on top of each other)- I'm a happy guy ( and old lol)

Reasonably sure it’s gha. Even if it isn’t vibrant is an algicide so it how it’s having no affect on whatever this is is confusing. It’s growing so well I wouldn’t even bother trying to up the vibrant dose. Surprised the reef flux didn’t work for you. I read so many success posts on Reef2reef, that’s why I went this route. Maybe I could try wrapping the tank for a couple day complete blackout. Next step is giving up and breaking down.

I did a 3 day blackout. Blackout didn’t work for me. Have you tried peroxide dosing?

Salted

NJRC Member
I did a 3 day blackout. Blackout didn’t work for me. Have you tried peroxide dosing?
Yes. 1ml per 10g for the past month. No change. If it’s a time thing and I shouldn’t expect to see results for two or three months I’ll keep dosing but I refuse to break down and clean all my rock work. And honestly I don’t see cleaning just the rock working. I would assume the entire system would have to come apart and be cleaned. Sorry I don’t have the time or patience. If it has to come apart it’s not going back together.

I’m hopefully finally on the tail end of a GHA outbreak and have been leering my phosphates by using GFO and Tropic Marin’s Elimi-Phos at half the recommended dosage. Each week I’m having to remove less algae manually and the corals are starting to look better.
How are your sps reacting to the phosphate drops, Also how high were they?

This guy had his phosphates at 0.37 and bring them down just in a few weeks… has sps as well here another video after 3 months and the acros still look good

Rueric

NJRC Member
i've been told lanthanum chloride (Phosphate-e) is bad for your tank.
it binds to rocks and contains some pollutants that you can detect from ICP tests

i've been told lanthanum chloride (Phosphate-e) is bad for your tank.
it binds to rocks and contains some pollutants that you can detect from ICP tests
So bind to the rocks and release later? I used to do it in the filter floss but only to bring down a few points not 30+