• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I am really bad at...

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
... Taking pictures of corals!

I recently stopped by Ultimate Corals in Jackson, NJ. I've been here before a few years ago for a meet up with some friends (wish this happened more often) Mark has some awesome livestock and it felt like i was just buying from another hobbyist, which ultimately is what mark is. Just giving a nice shout out and really urging everyone to check em out!

Mark had the "Pikachu" acropora and being the fan of pokemon i was growing up i had to have this piece. The color it puts off is incredible! Yellow body with red polyps i cannot wait for this to grow out. I picked up a couple more pieces while i was there too including the (dark knight and something else i cant remember the name of... )

20230222_182744.jpg20230222_183105.jpg

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Wow! Love that Pikachu. I saw one in a friend's tank a year ago in California. She got hers from AquaSD. Very nice piece.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Glad you found Mark!
As a serious review...
When I started in the hobby many moons back I worked in Jackson, about 1/2 a mile from Mark's place.
I had done some research on corals, but was never fully sure, sans experience, what would work and what wouldn't.
I had the luck to hook up with Mark.
He helped me learn, gave tons of great advice, and even if I wasn't buying anything he went out of his way to give guidance to help me build my tanks. His advice was invaluable.
Told me to call any time if I had concerns or questions, and I did, a lot. And he always answered, NEVER asking if I needed to buy anything.
Good, honest guy.

Last edited:

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I've spent many black Fridays at this place....and many dollars hahahahah. Always quality pieces. Can't go wrong

Glad you found Mark!
As a serious review...
When I started in the hobby many moons back I worked in Jackson, about 1/2 a mile from Mark's place.
I had done some research on corals, but was never fully sure, sans experience, what would work and what wouldn't.
I had the luck to hook up with Mark.
He helped me learn, gave tons of great advice, and even if I wasn't buying anything he went out of his way to give guidance to help me build my tanks. His advice was invaluable.
Told me to call any time if I had concerns or questions, and I did, a lot. And he always answered, NEVER asking if I needed to buy anything.
Good, honest guy.
100% agree!!!

Love my T5s. I may just have to get one for myself, very nice coral.
Just got this last week. It came in as a pale yellow. The color is very different in my tank under T5. Hope color saturates some. RR Pink Floyd

View attachment 48355

View attachment 48356
I do think that when t5s are on the color looks a little more pale on some coral but after they go off and it’s just LEDs you see the real colors.
i don’t think I would change my t5s

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I do think that when t5s are on the color looks a little more pale on some coral but after they go off and it’s just LEDs you see the real colors.
i don’t think I would change my t5s
The above photo of the coral in my tank was done with just LED. With my T5 it looks very pale. The last hour of lights on, my T5 goes off and the 2 LED strips go on.

One more thing Godwilling I’ll meet mark for a trade very soon, if anyone wants me to bring anything with me to north jersey and then pick up at my place just let me know!! I’ll be happy to help another reefer;)

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
Have you guys used deferent bulbs in your t5s? I honestly have only used blue+! I’m thinking maybe a combination would help more my radions!
I love love love the coral plus lamp. Brings out the colors so well. My anthias really pops, the purple on my kole tang really pops too. i run 1 coral plus with 5 blue plus.