• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I.D this new bizarre jet black snail? Safe?

Ok, just spotted this jet black, looked like a bug first, then saw the suction bottom part like a snail.
It had long antenna, and two symetical pink dots on the two back sides.
Safe? Ever seen one of these, it actually moved very fast along rock and under and inside.
If it comes out again, I will try to get a better shot, any input appreciated.IMG_6608.JPGIMG_6610.JPG

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have never, ever seen a black Stomatella. I can't see the picture real well, but my first guess is a sea slug (elephant slug).

c126470c.jpg

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Have had many stomatellas, love em, as well as many other beneficial inverts. This doesnt look like any i've ever had. Agree with banishment to sump for the better safe than sorry reasoning.

PS. Just to be on the safe side, i probably wouldn't just grab it by hand. Try to lure it into the sump with nude pics of other slugs, but if that doesnt work a net and a stick would probably work out. And when done, dont rub the stick or net in your eye just in case.

Last edited: