• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I have babies

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
So was busy all day and fed the seahorses at little after 5pm.
All of I sudden the one male bucking, yeah lame term, and bunch of babies coming flying out.
Called the wife over and he did it a second time. I scooped out water from the SH tank and reef to get about 3g and siphoned them out.
They went right the sand bottom and were hard to find. I only see a few moving on the bottom and some not moving in the bucket.
He still isn't done so will see if I get more and try to get them out. any tips other than siphon?

Also, making baby brine right now.
Pic sux but will post it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200616_175849.jpg
    IMG_20200616_175849.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 16
So was busy all day and fed the seahorses at little after 5pm.
All of I sudden the one male bucking, yeah lame term, and bunch of babies coming flying out.
Called the wife over and he did it a second time. I scooped out water from the SH tank and reef to get about 3g and siphoned them out.
They went right the sand bottom and were hard to find. I only see a few moving on the bottom and some not moving in the bucket.
He still isn't done so will see if I get more and try to get them out. any tips other than siphon?

Also, making baby brine right now.
Pic sux but will post it.
Congratulations grandpa, lol where’s the cigars,, I would just let filtration system take care of the babies, almost impossible to raise if not properly set up for it, survival rate is very low even in wild that’s why they have so many at a time, lucky if one makes it to be an adult but rare

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Well, they did not last long.
From what I was read and told if the babies don't swim and go to the bottom they are doomed.
All of mine went to the bottom and I tried to save them but no luck.
Maybe next brood will be better.

yeah, syphioning is pretty rough on them, best to have brine shrimp net handy.
Also will be good to have sponges in your fuge to be seasoned so you can have the bio ready for the 3 gallon. Double sponge air will be the best so you can alter them. Bare bottom for easier care. Something for them to hitch on to... chain or zip ties
I thought you were all ready for them

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
yeah, siphoning is pretty rough on them, best to have brine shrimp net handy.
Also will be good to have sponges in your fuge to be seasoned so you can have the bio ready for the 3 gallon. Double sponge air will be the best so you can alter them. Bare bottom for easier care. Something for them to hitch on to... chain or zip ties
I thought you were all ready for them

I was but thought he was holding air so took everything down.
Not much room to work with, office still isn't done.