• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I might be loosing the whole tank tonight

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for the kind words and offers for help, but I'm good with the carbon changes and 50 gallon water change. Corals look a bunch better. I've only been able to pull out the yellow tang. Other then the two clowns, back to swimming normal, I can't find any other fish: 2 pajama cardinals, scopas tang, melanurus wrasse, diamond goby....MIA.......As I'm sitting here typing the Goby just came out of hiding....one piece of good news.

Now here's what I found in one of the MP40 powerheads:

It is soft and mushy....about 1/3 the original length of the cucumber....could this be the skin after it pukes out it's innards?

glad to hear things are turning around in your favor!!!!! hope the others come out of hiding! and all else continues to get better. The mp40 is like a meat grinder when something gets in there, i had one of my Ritteri anemones get a few tentacles stuck in one and lucky for me he survived .

Damm, that sucks Paul.....so sorry to see this....your tank was doing so good.....don't worry, we'll bring it back.....I might come to your house to pick up the worms Thursday morning, let me know if you need me to bring anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks again folks for the warm words.

Here's the final assessment.

My red and black cucumber committed suicide in one of the MP40's, releasing it's entrails to the tank.

The following shall be remembered as upstanding members of the community......

One Yellow Tang
One Scopus Tang
Two Pajama Cardinals

The following survived this poisonous attack:

Two clown fish
One Diamond Goby
One Melanurus Wrasse

All corals appear back to normal.

What has been done....a change to fresh carbon (3 cups), running the skimmer wet, a 50 gallon water change.

I'm making more water and will do another 50 gallons in 2 or 3 days, as well as change out the carbon again.

On a positive note, I thought I had lost all fish when I made this discovery.

Last edited:

radiata

NJRC Member
Paul,

I don't know much about MP40s. I was wondering if you were systematically periodically turning it off and on, or if it is always on. The photo of the ex-cuke doesn't look like it was mangled by the power-head - I'm inclined to believe that it found itself immobilized by your power-head's input screening and elected to try a rather desperate method of freeing itself.

My concern is that I currently have two all-black cukes in my 180. I've had them in the past, and never noticed them climbing on the walls or rock work. However, these two actually do climb (not enough detritus in the sand?), and I'm now concerned about them getting immobilized by one of my power-heads. The shape of the MP series makes me wonder if they are more efficient at immobilizing cukes than other power-heads that protrude from the inside of the tank wall.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Bob

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bob, the corpse was in the side fins of the MP40, so I'm agreeing with your assessment that he was stuck on the outside on the powerhead and decided he was in danger so he literally puked his guts, nuking the tank. I'm sure the powerhead flow helped distribute his poisonous guts throughout the tank. I also have to believe that the MP40 powerhead being flush with the inside glass assisted in the cucumber finding it's way onto the outer screen portion. I would think a "conventional" powerhead would be a bit more difficult for the cuc to find it's way out onto the sucking portion of the powerhead.

I'm also convinced that the introduction of the Diamond Goby was the beginning of the demise of the cucumber. Up until this event, he was a model tank citizen. I've had him for years. I believe the goby cleaned the sand so well that there was no food for the cucumber, and he started looking elsewhere. At one point I had two cucumbers....a tiger's tail and this black and red....and when I had the two, I'd see one or the other climbing the glass. When I gave the tiger's tail to my son, the red and black now stayed on the sandbed.

So if you keep you're sand nice and dirty, and don't have a sand-sifting goby, I've got to believe you'll be just fine.