• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I no longer care…

Salted

NJRC Member
…what anyone says about emerald crabs being safe. I keep loosing bottom/rock dwelling fish. I got a Molly Miller blenny from Dyiguy. It was fine for a couple weeks then gone. I got an orange spot blenny last week. Fine for a few days now mia. I got a diamond watchman just Saturday. Was out and about now also mia. All water column swimming fish are fine. There is a large emerald in the tank. I have not caught it doing anything wrong. I’ve read a bunch on them. Supposedly they cannot catch a healthy fish. Regardless I just caught it and banished it to the sump. Now waiting and watching to see if either the diamond or orange spot reappear. This hobby is wearing me out.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Can't trust crabs. Have hair algae in the 30g nem tan k so bought a small finger nail tuxedo urchin to help clear it out naturally. 4 hours later crab had an expensive meal. It was a large type of hermit I got free to help stir sand and eat other debris.

john90009

NJRC Member
This is Goliath, he can easily trap a fish if he wanted. I’m hoping he traps my
Melenarus wrasse cause I can’t add any other wrasses with him in there.

Attachments

• 272B3962-EC53-4A5E-9446-7F9CA5565513.jpeg
    272B3962-EC53-4A5E-9446-7F9CA5565513.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I love crabs. They get a bad rep but there is noway a crab can kill a healthy fish.
Me with two nets can’t catch a fish lol fish are to fast especially if you have rocks.
Your blenny is still alive a go along time with out seeing them. They hide for a long time.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I love crabs. They get a bad rep but there is noway a crab can kill a healthy fish.
Me with two nets can’t catch a fish lol fish are to fast especially if you have rocks.
Your blenny is still alive a go along time with out seeing them. They hide for a long time.
I still have 3 Molly Miller blennies- not a fish that goes mia- always picking on algae, and all over the tank at feeding time- I also don't trust some crabs, but I had- maybe still have emeralds- I never see them- I would not trust pistol shrimp ever though

Salted

NJRC Member
I don't disagree, but something is up and this is the only thing I can try.
I will disagree with this. The new additions might have gotten spooked and decided to start hiding after being out, but the molly miller was out and about and comfortable for weeks. Always easy to find and active, would come to my hand for food. It didn't jump and it didn't get covid :p.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
My Molly Millers are not bottom dwellers- they hop around the rocks and hang on the glass. It's also possible that your newest goby is just checking out locations- my first watchman hid in the back of the tank for months, finally moved up front- it could also be that one or more fish are showing dominance/ being territorial and the goby is just being shy. When I added the pygmy angel it stayed in one corner of the tank for over a week- slowly started moving around a small area , then larger and larger areas, now it's all over the tank- thing is, it never showed any aggression but let the other fish show dominance- had a similar experience with a couple of blennies- it's all about the pecking order

Last edited:
Smaller emeralds are fine. But I wouldn't put a large male one in a tank with any small fish. I've watched them try to grab fish. There is no doubt in my mind they're sometimes successful at night.

Salted

NJRC Member
I guess anything’s possible. If a bobbit is in there it came in a long time ago and just got big enough to be a problem. I know very little about them.