• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I think I'm Burned Out

:( A difficult post to make, I've been thinking a lot over the last couple months. Done a few things to try and stir my interests. I think I'm just coming to the end of the line with this obsession.
I still have a perfectly running SPS tank, it couldn't be any easier to run it. Seems like the only chore I have now is to feed the fish every day. But sometimes I even forget to do that. I just have so many other things going on, I've been working a lot on my '67 Firebird, the Kids take a lot of time, Golf & Softball...overall, the tank just doesn't interest me as much as it has in the past.
It's been such an Obsession for over 5 years now. A day hasn't gone by that I don't check RC or NJRC at least 5 times per day. I dont post as much, hardly at all lately, but still try to answer questions for people occasionally.
I'm getting to the point now that I'm worried that my ignoring of the tank could cause a downfall, so I'm seriously thinking about getting out. Most hobbies are so easy, you just Stop doing it. We all know how hard it is to stop this one. Where do you begin?

Anyway, I'll probably be making up some numbers to try and sell stuff. For now, I only have one real concern. My Big Angel Fish. A lot of you have seen it, it's a Blue Angel, looks very much like a Queen Angel. I'd say she's worth $100, but any good offers considered. I would really like to find a 200+ gallon tank for her to go in. Truthfully I wouldnt mind seeing her swimming around Trop's 600 gallon Display, if I dont find a buyer I might try to donate it to them.

Sorry to lay bummer news like this, it's a great hobby, and the NJRC Family has been great. Maybe a break and large amounts of $$, I'll get back into it someday.

There's lots for sale, I'll be posting up on RC with details.

If by chance anyone wants a "Turn Key" SPS fish tank, everything included, contact me and we'll see if we can work a deal.

Thanks All -
Kelly "Hef"

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear you're getting out Kelly! I think that happens to most reefers at one time or another...life gets in the way. I'll miss the info that you have passed on through the years and looking at your beautiful stock!

Hope to see you come back soon!(just because you don't have a tank, doesn't mean you can't stop by to say hi!)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The NJRC Family, along with the hobby as a whole, will lose someone very valuable when you shutdown your system. Sorry to hear that you're in need of a break, but better to do it this way then to watch the tank decline. When you're ready to get back in it I'm sure there will be plenty of people here happy to help you get back into it.

As Brian says, do stop in and say Hi! from time to time. Good luck!

I'm sorry to hear the news too Hef.

I know you said you've been thinking about this for a while but just curious. Have you considered downsizing the fish to a couple small ones and maybe adding an auto feeder? Maybe if it didn't seem like as much of a chore you might want to hang on for a while to see if you really want to part out the tank or if you gain some interest in it again.

If you're sure you want to sell everything I might be interested in the tank and sps corals as well as the fish. I'll send you a PM but hope you might reconsider!

Either way Best of Luck to you and don't forget to drop in from time to time.

Carlo

Life does have a way of doing that. That is what is so great about life is that you never know what is next so you may find yourself back into it someday.

Thanks Everyone - Yes I have considered keeping a smaller tank running, but the responsibility is still the same. You have to maintain it with the same degree of obsession that keeps the current tank running.

I'm going to clean the tank, and take a bunch of new photos.
I'm going to try and sell some more cheap frags over the next week or two.

sorry to hear your getting out kelly.....your tank was an inspiration and i could only hope to get mine up to your standards.
you always had good advise to share and it will be missed.
good luck with whatever new project you take up.............al

ps: i would still like a few small frags if you have any laying around.
my tank is back to normal now and could use a little color.

sorry to hear your getting out . I just got a 210 and would've loved to have taken the blue angel but i have a queen and french angel in my 120 that are going in already. how big is the blue angel? I'm just starting my 210 and still need to buy lots of stuff so I'm interested in what you'd be selling . thanks and hope to see you back in the hobby soon

Peter

I didn't get to meet you Hef, but as I enter this hobby it is sad to see any veterns or anyone in general to leave it. If you do take a break from the hobby, I do hope for a speedy return.

As for items...depending on when you sell. I could use a refractometer and/or inline TDS

Im sorry to hear your getting out , i would definite miss all of your output that you have given everyone all this years , and seen the pictures you have put up , if when you come back lmk and ill give you some frags to get you started , and thank you for everything you have help the club with .

Ralph

Well thanks guys...You know, this could be tougher than I imagined. I've got people pm'ing me to take my Clown Fish. I look over at her, happy as can be, she has controlled the same section of the tank for about 5 years now. I moved her from one tank to my bigger Oceanic, she grabbed her same spot and stayed there. To give her away would be like giving a kid away, or worse, a girlfriend:) ok, so that gets a little wierd.

This is really a problem.

Hef, Just keep everything and stay in the hobby :) I am sure everyone would understand if you didn't sell off your stuff. Your tank is to nice to break it down, besides you don't want to regret it after it's too late.

So, why not keep the clown and move down to a smaller, FOWLR tank? You seem mvery attached to your fish. And, while you might not be able to keep larger fish, clowns are fairly adaptive at moving down to a smaller tank. It'd be like keeping a part of your larger tank without as much care.

But, don't do anything rash.

At least, never do anything rash when it comes to pets. Before I moved from Atlanta back up to here, I gave up my three turtles (Walton Turtlebot, Sir Thomas the Duke of Kent, and the funky turtle with no name). I have regretted it for some time now, but, at least I still have the community cat from my house (Barry) and my Harlequin (ball python).

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Kelly,
You have been such an asset to the club and all who ask for help. Your pictures of your caps are unforgettable. I can't imagine NJRC without you. But...If you do decide to take a break, please stop in and give a shout every once in awhile.

But, don't do anything rash. (ditto)

Erna

I'm sorry to hear about your burnout. The problem with the reefkeeping hobby is it's a lot of work. If you're a coin collector, it's easy to take a couple of months off to catch your breath, to remember what you liked about the hobby.
My mom died a few years ago, after a long decline and I was the one dealing with all the illness and the aftermath, if you can imagine such a thing. My dad was failing mentally and quickly became senile once my mom was gone. My siblings were not helpful. As you might imagine I lost interest in reefing. Eventually, through neglect on my part, I had a major crash in each of my tanks. I took down my big tank, and my smaller tank is basically a mess. I have been trying for a couple of years to get fired up again, and it's only just happened. My new tank is coming this month.
In my opinion, it's better to take a breather and try to get fired up again than to grind a long until it seems like just a chore.

Heff the love for the hobby will all ways be there sometimes we just need a break & only u know what u need.
just make sure this is what u really want because like u said u have become attached to ur clown & it is hard to let that go.
good luck my good man.

Hey Kelly,

I know how you feel. Work is taking up a lot more time and I'm caught in a loop of not enjoying my tanks as much, because I can see that there is work to do and not enough time to do the work that it takes to enjoy the tanks more!

I'm only back in for two years now so I know I can work through the burnout, but I am working on plans to simplify things a bit. Maybe by the fall I can combine my smaller tanks into one larger tank.

I need to echo what others have said about you providing inspiration, of course it was your inspiration that hooked me into helping with group buys! I guess that was a good thing:)

Thanks for your contributions to the club. If you have any special LPS hidden amongst the SPS that need a good home, let me know and I'll care for them until you come back to reefing again!

So, with my first free night at home in two weeks I got to work on my floundering FOWLR, mild pun intended! ;D

It's amazing how a little improvement can spark your enthusiasm. I had to force myself to leave for work this morning because I was enjoying how clear the water looked with the sun shinning through it! :D

I did a water change this weekend - Took out the RotoZip and opened up the slots for the overflow (should have done that 3 years ago) water level dropped by about a 1/4 inch solving a lot of problems. I made up a new batch of Alk and Calcium, then I swapped out the 14k's for the used 10k's. Makes the tank look completely different.
I moved a bunch of corals around - My interest is holding for now, enough to actually post a pic I took last night. I got a really nice PM from a fellow reefer with a couple of tanks large enough to house this Beauty. Just lucky to get all 3 fish in one shot.
Taken with a Flash.

3fish

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sounds like you have a renewed interest in keeping your babies. Good for you.

Good for them too! :)