• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I think that I may have bleached my coral

I don't know if I am being a bit overly nervous of what... Let me know what you think...

Today I did my routine biweekly 15 gallon water change on my 58 gallon tank. As I was siphoning the water out of the display I dosed the sump with 4oz of calcium and with 8 tsp of alkalinity. The alkalinity was mixed with water in a cup before I dumped it into the sump. The water sat in the sump about 5-10 minutes before I turned on my return pump and when I did my whole tank was a big white cloud for about 30 minutes. It has been clearing up and now I am noticing that my pavoda coral is losing a bit of its color on it's edges. I also have a ORA neon green birds nest and a blue millie which look pretty good. I also have a frogspawn and zoas that are spitting out a small bit of red mucus. All of the polyps on my coral are extended and my alkalinity is currently reading 13. I have turned up my protein skimmer to try and clean up the water and also have rinsed out my filter sock. My lights are now only running actinics to try and give everyone a rest.

Is this something that I should be concerned about?

Jon

was your salt completely mixed atleast a day in advance?

isnt 4oz much? its best to do slow, minimal changes over a period of time rather fast large ones.

The salt was mixed up for 24 hours before I put it in my tank with a quiet one 3000 pump. When I dose my tank with 4oz of calcium I normally takes it from 400 to 460 ppm,

Jon, don't do anything. The alkalinity will go down on its own, give it a couple of days.

What was your dKh before you added something, and which product did you use?

I have accidentally upped my alkalinity too much and too fast, and some of my stonies developed white tips almost immediately. In less than a week it was back to normal, and all my corals completely recovered.

My alkalinity way 9.5 when I did the water change. I use the reef crystal salt mix and the dkh is a bit low for my tank. To keep my levels around 10-12 I need to add 4tsp of kent dkh superbuffer everyday. So when I do a water change I always add 8 tsp to keep my alkalinity around 12.
Jon

Jon,

Why are you gunning for 10-12 dKH? 9.5 is a good value already and going higher can risk burnt tips or bleaching. You also made the change rather fast there. What calcium were you using? Calcium Chloride pellets (ie Turbo Calcium)? Try to let your livestock adjust at this point. Not sure if you should mess with it any more.

I am using kent calcium. Now that some time has passed I am finally not that concerned and will let the tank sit. I will monitor the levels daily.
Jon

You added the calcium and your alk at the same time? I know when using a 2 part alk is added 1st then you have to wait til the water clears up before adding your calcium.

Yes I added them both at he same time... Than they sat in the return pump chamber of the sump for 5 - 10 minutes. I was in a rush and just was not thinking. Luckily everything in my tank is doing great. It is such a scare to see your tank in a cloud of alkalinity for almost a half hour. I kind of freaked out and thought the worst was going to happen. Thanks to everyone who responded.