• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I want a blue gigantea! Am I nuts?

I have the Red Sea Reefer 625 Peninsula. Tank has been up and running for over a year and doing very nicely. It’s a mixed reef fully stocked with fish. I want to put a blue gigantea carpet anemone or possibly a haddoni in my tank. I have two issues. One is I think they are very hard to keep based on what I read online and two is a really blue one seems impossible to find. Any thoughts would be appreciated as well as any leads on if someone has one they are selling!
Also, do they ever come smaller 6-8”? How quickly do they grow? Would love to get a smaller one if that’s possible.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Carpet anemone are really good at eating fish. So you can’t have small fish.
real estate in a reef tank is really important and those anemone grow big

Blue Zoo Aquatics. Claims to Be able to get blue ones in 6 sizes. However. This is a difficult animal to keep. And it WIILL. Not might... eat anything that accidentally wonders into its reach. Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder but given this animals reputation and the fact that there are much prettier, safer, smaller, colorful and healthier anemones available I can’t say I understand why anyone would want to put it in there tank.

I don’t know much about these and how safe/unsafe they are in the long run. But NY Aquatic has a purple gigantea and a blue haddoni for sale.

Blue Zoo Aquatics. Claims to Be able to get blue ones in 6 sizes. However. This is a difficult animal to keep. And it WIILL. Not might... eat anything that accidentally wonders into its reach. Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder but given this animals reputation and the fact that there are much prettier, safer, smaller, colorful and healthier anemones available I can’t say I understand why anyone would want to put it in there tank.
Thanks so much. I agree which is my hesitation! There’s just something about a very blue gigantea that I can’t get over! If you have something similar in mind please lmk! I’m all about color.