• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I would like an opinion please . . .

So, about 3 months ago I brought home a clown anenome shrimp and added it to the 12g, along with our group of sexy shrimp and our bumblebee shrimp.
We then brought home a sick blasto (no, we did not buy it, we were asked to try to save it). The clown anemone shrimp dove right in and ate the blasto, promptly followed by the sexy shrimp who learned from its example.
Unfortunately, that was sufficient to teach them coral was food, they went for, and did significant damage to, our trumpet and several favias that were healthy up until that point. I have had the shrimp in time out in a 2.5g tank without any coral for the last 2 months but I am tired of taking care of the additional tank. The corals in the 12g are not suited for the strong light of the 57g (LEDs) and the 45g (T5s) is too crowded, not to mention the fact that I like the coral in the 12g where it is.
So, my options are to (1) add the critters back into the 12, and hope that they leave my corals alone, and be prepared to rip it apart if they do not, or (2) keep them in time out forever, or (3) re-home them to someone without coral.
I think that once an animal decides coral is food, it will always think of coral as food, unfortunately.
What do you guys think?

Honestly, get rid of it. It's not worth keeping them considering 1)the work that went into that nano & 2) the $$. just rehome them.

Isn't a blasto a LPS? Ergo while the shrimp may dine of the larger polyps, it should not necessarily equate hard corals like SPS to be food. So a tank with plats, montis etc would seem fine with the shrimp...or is that illogical?

My trigger always likes a fun snack..... I would definitely not re-introduce them to the environment as they will continue to eat off them.

Isn't a blasto a LPS? Ergo while the shrimp may dine of the larger polyps, it should not necessarily equate hard corals like SPS to be food. So a tank with plats, montis etc would seem fine with the shrimp...or is that illogical?

I think that answer is likely yes. However, I don't have an LPS free tank. . . I have acans in both of my other tanks as well frog spawn (in the 57) and chalices (in the 45 and 57).

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I think that answer is likely yes. However, I don't have an LPS free tank. . . I have acans in both of my other tanks as well frog spawn (in the 57) and chalices (in the 45 and 57).

I have another 12 gallon just like yours do you want it?