• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ice Cape Ballest wont stay on

OK here is the story. Last week my Ice cape 430 ballast shut down, I check the wiring its ok, the fuse(try 3 different ones to make sure). It lights up sometimes and stay on till they go are scheduled to go off, when I go to turn them on the next day they wont go on. I've tried different plugs. I've had it for well over 15 years with no problems now its giving me problems. IS IT DEAD?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This problem sounds similar to the one I had when I ran IceCap. It boiled down to being that multiwired plug on the wiring harness. One or two of the prongs wasn’t making consistent contact…..so sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn’t. I resolved the problem by using this red liquid stuff that improves the electrical connectivity in stuff. I don’t have it anymore and therefore don’t know what it is called…..we use to just call it “red juice.” At the same time I used red juice, I also used an ice pick and pushed that into the male prong to “fatten” it up a bit.

When you deal with this problem, as pointed out, first check the connections. Don't forget the bulb endcaps. They can go bad too. If you still have a problem, replace the bulbs. This isn't as bad as it sounds, because sooner or later your going to need to do that anyway, so no money is wasted. If it's still giving you a problem, replace the ballast.

As a note, ice cap ballasts are a bit "fussy" and turn off if there is anything wrong. It's done to protect the ballast.

OK, I want to thank everyone for their input. Guess what happen to day after doing nothing, I plug the lights in and they went on with no problem. See what happens tomorrow Very confusing.