• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

IceCap 660 wiring question

malulu

NJRC Member
I have an IceCap 660, and I also have T5-39W x 8, i check the information on the IceCap website http://www.icecapinc.com/document2.pdf, it said IceCap-660 only support 4 lamps wiring, and must be less than 400watts.

is it possible that i can connect them as this?

+===============================(BROWN)========+
| |
+------T5/39W-------T5/39W------(RED)-------********
+------T5/39W-------T5/39W------(YELLOW)----* *
* 660 *
+------T5/39W-------T5/39W------(ORANGE)----* *
+------T5/39W-------T5/39W------(BLUE)------********
| |
+===============================(PURPLE)=======+

the reason i want to do this is, the USACurrent Outer-Orbit 250W with 8xT5, don't seems as bright as the IceCap660 ballast i have before, and wanted to replace the ballast with the IceCap inside the housing, and trying to avoid to fit TWO IceCaps in it.

thanks in advance for the comments.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My guess is the ballast may be able to run the lamps but may not be able to fire more then 4 lamps regardless of the length/wattage. Again, just a guess. If it was me (and we all know I'm not the sharpest tack in the box) I'd wire it and test it. I would hope the ballast fuse would blow before anything serious happened. If it dosen't work, install the second ballast.

malulu

NJRC Member
I did email IceCap... his standard answer is:

The max number of lamps that can be ran on a 660 ballast is 4 only.

Wiring diagram is http://www.icecapinc.com/document2.pdf

my guess is, IceCap won't promote any non-standard configurations to avoid any unnecessary support problem....

I do think it can be done, therefore trying to post here and to ask for the NJRC pros...
;D

malulu

NJRC Member
I would most likely try it next week, would be a busy week for me (planned the vacation)... (re-aqualscape, treat redbug, re-wire T5...)
;)

roadking05 said:
LOL, I'd never thought of it. did u already try this? I don't see why not.

malulu

NJRC Member
so, with IceCap 660 with 8 x 39W T5, would that be overdrive? what is overdrive really mean?
thx

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Dave, I'm pretty sure you can only fire 4 T5's off of the 660 no matter what the wattage of the bulbs are. Overdriving means exactly that, it will overdrive the output of the bulb. I know my 54 watt T5's are overdriven to about 80 watts on an Ice Cap 660.

malulu

NJRC Member
i am going to connect the bulb with serial connection... how would the ballast know it was TWO in one, instead of just one...?

malulu said:
i am going to connect the bulb with serial connection... how would the ballast know it was TWO in one, instead of just one...?

Because it is not a serial connection. Each end of the bulb is a set of electrodes that produces a flow of electrons that excites the mercury vapor causing it to release photons. It is not a wire connected betwwen bulbs creating a circuit.

malulu

NJRC Member
i will try next week, and let you all know...
hopefully not burning the Current OuterOrbit fixture (it is only 3 months NEW).
;-)