• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ich Dilemma :(

So I have Ich. Although this is not the worst thing to happen Im trying to keep a cool head about it. Would like to hear thoughts but this is my plan of action so far.

1. Remove livestock that is infected. I have a yellow neon goby that had it first. Then a wrasse who has one speck so far. I ordered a fish trap as catching them is nearly impossible and would require taking all my rock apart which is what I am trying to avoid. Worst case I will take it apart.

2. I set up a quarantine where I will add whatever is infected and do copper treatment. Since I cant add any media to filtrate cause it will remove the copper how do I ensure ammonia doesnt reach high levels? Should I transfer established rock thats in my sump to the QT tank? Will the copper kill the bacteria? Worried about ammonia levels rising since I will need to add fish as they become infected.

3. Not sure how long I have to keep it in QT before I can add them back but how can I ensure my corals get the influx of nutrients from fish waste? Should I add ammonia daily to the main tank?

Any help would be appreciated. I hate that im going through this but its important to have a game plan and see the light at the end of the tunnel.

horseplay

NJRC Member
There is no dilemma. Did you do something to the tank causing the ich outbreak? Did you add new fish.

I would leave them alone. If you want to treat you will need to treat all the fish. Take everyone of them out. And you will then stress then out. All the fish have ich now. The ones not showing symptoms are resistant to ich. they will survive.

I don't QT my fish so sometimes I buy fish the new fish develop ich but after a while the ich goes away. All my existing fish are ich resistant.

Stress is what's causing the outbreak. Remove the stress factor (such as the aggressive fish), keep water clean and feed a lot of frozen nutritious food.

There is no dilemma. Did you do something to the tank causing the ich outbreak? Did you add new fish.

I would leave them alone. If you want to treat you will need to treat all the fish. Take everyone of them out. And you will then stress then out. All the fish have ich now. The ones not showing symptoms are resistant to ich. they will survive.

I don't QT my fish so sometimes I buy fish the new fish develop ich but after a while the ich goes away. All my existing fish are ich resistant.

Stress is what's causing the outbreak. Remove the stress factor (such as the aggressive fish), keep water clean and feed a lot of frozen nutritious food.
This is where I am confused. Nothing seemed stressed. Everything seemed fine and eating normally. Not sure what caused the outbreak. Agreed, I am hoping the ones that remain healthy are resistant.

Adam L

NJRC Member
Filtration does not remove copper. Some media supposedly absorbs copper and can change levels. Best media is plastic bio balls as they won’t absorb copper. I keep two bags in my sump if I need to set up a quarantine. Even then ammonia can be a problem. Get one of those seachem ammonia alerts and have fresh saltwater on hand for a change. I’ve done the long quarantine, I forget the time frame - it was something like 72 days. I lost fish in qt. I lost corals in my display due to parameter swings with fish gone. i got ich after the long qt. I trapped the affected fish. I qtd them again. Lost some. I got a uv sterilizer and i think it worked to keep things under control. I don’t believe they all have ich but who knows. just qt‘d a copper band - no copper - they just don’t tolerate it. Killed 2 using copper. just put him in the display. Getting harassed by the purple tang. We shall see if it survives.

I would not take the fish out. If you feed well (God willing) you have a good chance they will pass it. Just be careful;) and wish you the best of luck!!

Shawn2122

NJRC Member
Don't create more stress by removing everything and upsetting your current balance. The best thing you can do is add a UV sterilizer to help manage ich numbers until the fish build up resistance through clean water and healthy diet. Cut up some clams and other shellfish to help boost gut bacteria and improve their immune system. Most people probably have ich in their systems anyway.

Adam L

NJRC Member
Filtration does not remove copper. Some media supposedly absorbs copper and can change levels. Best media is plastic bio balls as they won’t absorb copper. I keep two bags in my sump if I need to set up a quarantine. Even then ammonia can be a problem. Get one of those seachem ammonia alerts and have fresh saltwater on hand for a change. I’ve done the long quarantine, I forget the time frame - it was something like 72 days. I lost fish in qt. I lost corals in my display due to parameter swings with fish gone. i got ich after the long qt. I trapped the affected fish. I qtd them again. Lost some. I got a uv sterilizer and i think it worked to keep things under control. I don’t believe they all have ich but who knows. just qt‘d a copper band - no copper - they just don’t tolerate it. Killed 2 using copper. just put him in the display. Getting harassed by the purple tang. We shall see if it survives.
Copperband died. :(