• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ich or Velvet?

I cant tell which this is after exhaustive searching. Maybe you guys can help? This is the 3rd day of this condition, eating normally, which is a lot, and acting pretty much normal. Looks god awful. Only fish in the tank with this condition which includes:
2- Clownfish
2- Chromis
1- Firefish
1- Mandarin
And the blue tang pictured.Blue_Tang.jpg

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Does your clown fish skin look like it is peeling off and white mucus is forming on those areas? If yes then it is brook

eholceker

NJRC Member
Those spots are big and looks like crypto however there is quite a lot of them which does point to velvet. Either way with that severe of an infestation your probably going to have to treat.

I'm concerned about stressing him to death if i try to catch him. I would rather do that when the parasites drop to reproduce, nevermind that i would have to tear apart everything to catch all the fish.

eholceker

NJRC Member
If its velvet you have bigger things to worry about. Even if it's just crypto that is a bad infestation. I know crypto can be managed and will eventually burn its self out but that Hippo looks severely infected. Not every fish can build immunity to the parasite. What size tank is that Hippo in?

Its a tang they are notorious for ich, I am sorry but I believe your sucess rate in saving the fish is dependent on the fish it self... If its a new fish its a a snowballs chance in Florida. If its an established long time fish slightly better chance.
Ich is hard to kill and is found in most tanks dormant, they weaken immune systems so doing treatments and rapid changes to the fishes environment usually cause more stress then good.
Treatment options are remove the fish from the tank. Treat fish with copper and make sure nothing that copper touches ever comes near your display tank.
Or hyposalinity.