• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ich pt 2

So I was looking at my tank when I noticed ich on my purple tang. I have no idea how it got in my tank. All my fish are qt'd and from TSM and no new corals or anything has been added. Needless to say I'm really tempted to throw in the towel. Debating whether to quit or not. I have nothing for a qt set up right now

horseplay

NJRC Member
I am sorry to hear this but it's the same story happening over and over again. I will offer you $50 for your purple tang with the ich :)

When I buy new fish sometimes they will show signs of ich but eventually they'll be fine. I don't quarantine and all my fish in the tank are resistant to ich. I am sure any fish I buy from LFS comes with ich albeit not visible.

If you have a full tank of quarantined fish none has resistance to ich. When one got ich all others will too. Like any contagious disease. Just my own theory.

To try to save the fish I would step up feeding with frozen food and make sure the fish are not stressed. Ich is not the end of the world.

I’m sorry to hear that.
I have a tank and if not mistaken a hang on the back canister+ heater around. I could lend you this just let me know if interested so I look for it… I also have metronidazole that you could add to the food!!

Salted

NJRC Member
If you have it add some selcon and garlic to its nori. I usually prep a sheet a day ahead. I spread both the selcon and garlic liquid on the sheet and fold it in half. It absorbs into the nori and I let it dry. I was noticing that both just rinse right off the nori if I put it in wet. When dried it stays in the nori to be consumed.

If the fish are fine, why throw in the towel? If you're losing fish and can't keep anything alive, then I can see maybe why...

Ich doesn't normally kill otherwise healthy fish unless they're highly stressed (i.e. overcrowded, bad water conditions). You can practice ich management by feeding the fish well, avoiding overcrowding, etc. Or if you want ich eradication you gotta pull all the fish, treat them outside of the tank, and leave the tank fallow. Medicate or use TTM.

Last time I did this I just used a big Rubbermaid tub with a HOB skimmer, pump, and heater. Cheaper and easier than a QT tank. The fish don't care if the tub is clear or not and don't really need more than ambient light.

I had a few bouts with ich a few years ago. Broke everything down and treated the fish in a qt. Lost a few in the process though. After the third time, I was almost ready to give up too but they pulled through. The last fish I added went straight in the tank, as I didn't have a qt setup and bought the fish on a whim.

I'm glad I didn't give up though.