• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ick question

picked up a very nice lollipop tang the other day from lfs, 2 days after it was loaded with ick (just the tang, no other fish)

soaked some flakes with chopped garlic with alot of garlic juice last night around 2am, this afternoon, there's not a spec of ick on the tang and it's not scratching at all

is garlic really that good for ick or has it just fallen off waiting for a new host?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Could be either. Keep your eye on him for a few days. Hopefully it really is gone. Good luck!

My experience has been that once ick is in the system-its in the system. Lays dormant in cysts or as low level outbreaks, just a spot or two. A healthy tank and healthy fish seem to tolerate it, but the introduction of a new stressed fish could spark a out break. GregH

Whitebird1 said:
My experience has been that once ick is in the system-its in the system. Lays dormant in cysts or as low level outbreaks, just a spot or two. A healthy tank and healthy fish seem to tolerate it, but the introduction of a new stressed fish could spark a out break. GregH

i agree...ICK can be like a cancer to your system..although physically invisible it remains nearly permanently in the "blood stream" of your system..only after about 2 years of clearness is is nearly 90% dead in your tank...normally a fish with ick..spreads and spreads...with a good quarantine the fish can be "cured" but the tank however will now be very subsepable (sp?) to the disease because of the dormancy of the disease no matter the length of time.....

A cleaner wrasse worked for me. I have heard people say they won't eat fish food but mine does. Every evening when the MH goes off the fish take turns getting cleaned , very interesting to watch.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
You can also get tank bred neon gobies they too will clean fish,or you can get a med. called no sick fish totaly reef safe but expensive little bottle is about $60.00 works great though.

If you go the "med" route (not recommended in a reef tank) DON'T use RXP unless you want super high levels of phosphates in your tank. I got a super huge phosphate reading on one experimental tank after using this product and after lots of "looking" finally traced it back to the RXP. I mixed up a dose of RXP with RO/DI water and tested and sure enough the levels of phosphate were off the chart!

Needless to say I now "test" any meds before using them and NEVER dose these to the display tank. I've learned the hard way to use a hospital tank for meds.

Carlo

I agree with the belief that once it's in your tank it's there for a long while. Not sure how long, I've heard less than what what posted here...but safer is better than sorry. I know it can go dormant in your sand for a good while.

We give regular doses of the Kent's Garlic Extreme with their food after loosing all but one fish to an Ick outbreak last year. With each new fish we introduce, we step up how much garlic they get for a while, but they always get it. Actually our Yellow Tang ignores the Mysis that haven't been soaked in garlic. Never seen another spot since.

The juice from a jar of Polaner's chopped garlic from the grocery store works too if you already have it in the house.