• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ICP help

So I just got the results for an ICP test i sent out. Can somebody help me know if there's anything I need to fix? (Iodine is 0. Not sure what to do. Do i dose?)

I sent one out because I had a few heads of my big hammer colony die after dragging and one head torch also die along with my duncan. I haven't changed anything in the tank so I thought something in the water was wrong so I sent an ICP out

eholceker

NJRC Member
Use seachem iodide. Do like 5 drops per day and then retest with another ICP test a month later. Then either increase or decrease drops. Question though? What is wrong and what donyou think iodine will do?

These are the results. It didn't post the first time

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210402-174036_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210402-174036_Chrome.jpg
    479.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20210402-174000_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210402-174000_Chrome.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 13
Did the company that did the icp make any recommendations. And I’m curious about your chlorine. Why would there be any at all. Do you top off with strait tap water ??? I ask because I believe chlorine is deadly at .3 ppm and you have 19503.1ppm. That seams completely off the charts

The more I think about it that chlorine number is insane. Typical tap water has 4 parts per million. Because 5 parts per million is unsafe for humans. And coral and fish are way more sensitive than fish to chlorine Help me out here. Am I reading that chart wrong

For reference... A concentration of 34 to 51 ppm has been reported to be lethal in 1 to 1.5 hours [Freitag 1941] while 14 to 21 ppm has been suggested as being dangerous within 0.5 to 1 hour [NPIRI 1983].

For reference... A concentration of 34 to 51 ppm has been reported to be lethal in 1 to 1.5 hours [Freitag 1941] while 14 to 21 ppm has been suggested as being dangerous within 0.5 to 1 hour [NPIRI 1983].
It says it's within range. I have an RODI unit. The filters were changed about a month ago

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210402-232207_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210402-232207_Chrome.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 3
I trust your correct but what am I missing. The numbers I posted are quotes. Not guesses. My chlorine icp test came up 0.00 and was stated as good as well.

I did a little searching and I believe (but I may be wrong). It’s a spelling issue. The ocean is abundant with chloride. Not chlorine. Chloride is quite safe. While searching I found several sites stating the numbers you posted as chlorine. However as stated earlier. That would be deadly

Chlorine: The greenish-yellow, highly reactive and diatomic gas that is almost never found free in nature by itself. Most Chlorine is commercially produced and is most widely known for being used within compounds to purify water and create cleaning products.

Chloride:
The negatively charged ionic form of Chlorine. Since Chlorine is found deep within the Earth's crust, and is extremely reactive, the only way it can be found in nature is when it reacts with other chemicals and creates compounds. Chloride is what is created when Chlorine gains an electron and combines with other elements. Chloride is found abundantly in nature and is most commonly known for forming neutral salts such as sodium chloride (table salt), potassium chloride, and calcium chloride.

Chlorine: The greenish-yellow, highly reactive and diatomic gas that is almost never found free in nature by itself. Most Chlorine is commercially produced and is most widely known for being used within compounds to purify water and create cleaning products.

Chloride:
The negatively charged ionic form of Chlorine. Since Chlorine is found deep within the Earth's crust, and is extremely reactive, the only way it can be found in nature is when it reacts with other chemicals and creates compounds. Chloride is what is created when Chlorine gains an electron and combines with other elements. Chloride is found abundantly in nature and is most commonly known for forming neutral salts such as sodium chloride (table salt), potassium chloride, and calcium chloride.
It's definitely possible. This is the first ICP I've done that's why I posted it here because i didn't really understand what I was looking at and what needed fixing. I would imagine if it was chlorine, my fish and corals would all be dead at that level right? But when I click on it and it compares to the ocean, it's only a little bit off but it says it's within range

It doesn't give any explanation of anything. The only thing I noticed is that Iodine is yellow and is at 0 compared to .03 ppm

It's definitely possible. This is the first ICP I've done that's why I posted it here because i didn't really understand what I was looking at and what needed fixing. I would imagine if it was chlorine, my fish and corals would all be dead at that level right? But when I click on it and it compares to the ocean, it's only a little bit off but it says it's within range
I’m certain they mean chloride. That level of chlorine would be just about equivalent to draining half of your tank water and replacing it with Clorox. And that’s obviously not the case.

eholceker

NJRC Member
What service did you use for the test

Its chloride they are testing for not chlorine. That test is from the coralvue one. ATI is a lot better. Here is a screen shot of my Chloride Levels.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210403-105535_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210403-105535_Chrome.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 2

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I've used and still use Lugols iodine. medical grade. just use it sparingly. like 1 drop week is all it takes. amazon has it, or check a local pharmacy

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I just got back my icp test as well.
Low iodide is common if you run a refugium or
Algae scrubber. You can dose iodine using the product below. You have to be careful with iodide
That’s what algae used to grow. So if you have a lot of algae
I would get rid of the algae before I dose any iodide

Attachments

• 0726C0B5-ABD5-4F8F-A70C-705E964DD2AD.png
    0726C0B5-ABD5-4F8F-A70C-705E964DD2AD.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
I just got back my icp test as well.
Low iodide is common if you run a refugium or
Algae scrubber. You can dose iodine using the product below. You have to be careful with iodide
That’s what algae used to grow. So if you have a lot of algae
I would get rid of the algae before I dose any iodide
That's the funny part, i don't have algae. I mean, i have a little bit of dragons breath but it's barely like 1 strand so I doubt that would drain my entire iodine right? no GHA, nothing. I am dealing with Coolia Dinos still. And i have cyano growing over it that i havent cleaned because I want to see if it'll beat out the dinos but that's it

eholceker

NJRC Member
That's the funny part, i don't have algae. I mean, i have a little bit of dragons breath but it's barely like 1 strand so I doubt that would drain my entire iodine right? no GHA, nothing. I am dealing with Coolia Dinos still. And i have cyano growing over it that i havent cleaned because I want to see if it'll beat out the dinos but that's it

All coral use iodine in tissue growth and repair especially soft coral. Your iodine is definitly not zero. It may physiological be impossible.