• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ID? Mystery Coral

This stuff came on a piece of TBS rock. At first it was just one or two little polyps now its spreading pretty quickly down the rock. Any ideas??
IMG_0249.jpg

Look like baby aptaisa
How fast did they spread?
what do they look like when they are retracted?
Are they on any other rocks?
Jason

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They are a coral. They're not aptasia nor sun corals nor galaxia corals. They are quite common on gulf rock. I have some in my tank though I've never noticed them to be the type of corals that "takes over the tank". I've had them for 4 years and they haven't changed a whole lot. They were ID'd to me when I was new to the hobby, but I can't remember what they were called.

It looks like Cladocora arbuscula (tube coral).

But eh - I find it interesting that you say yours "grew"...tube coral the skeleton is pretty slow to grow out - hence when you said they spread - it made it sound like aiptasia.

Perhaps you are lucky - most people that I have seen with this type of coral from TBS find it very difficult to maintain them. I do not believe they are photosynthetic so if you are feeding it - perhaps that is why.

see the thing is that this particular piece of rock is covered in those little dents where the coral comes out of. Could it have just been retracted until it settled into the aquarium?
Maybe grow was the wrong word but they are def poppoing up all over that rock in different areas, some even have a fluorscent green center.
I do feed but not directly so maybe they are just taking in whatever is in the water.

This is the one I (bad pic) had from my tbs rock:
0301unknown2.jpg

They were just dents and only after being in the tank did they come up - possibly because there was a slight ammonia presence when part 2 (when I got this) was introduced.

This is a pic from coastal planning & engineering in Florida.
R33b.JPG

It only took my like forever before I dug up the post where I found greenbean and tbs giving me the id (mind you this was in a thread back in 05). Anyways - if you think your coral is similar to the pics above, then it's an oculina species relatively common in Florida.

So ignore what I said before about it being tube coral.

thats exactly what it looks like, even the whole rock formation itself is that shape, so it might just be one huge mostly dead cup coral colony.