• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ID please

Can you help me identify what this is, and how can I get rid of this from my tank? It is a quarter of an inch big and it has spread on the live rock. I know it is not Majano.
thanks
1293_30_11_08_1_48_07.JPG

1293_30_11_08_1_47_46.JPG

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's very hard to make out what you're pointing to in the pics. Can you get a clearer pic of it, or maybe crop this pic down?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Much better picture. Looks like a matless red star polyp or some sort of xenia. Where did the rock come from? How long have you had it? How long has it been growing there?

All of my live rock has been in the tank since 2003. At first, I didn't notice it as much because there wasn't much of it on the rocks. In the last year, though, it's been growing faster and is spreading more. It's become a bigger problem.

def some sort of star polyp as you can now see it's 8 points on a polyp. aiptasia would be many more than 8 points stars. you can also see the polyp stem coming out of the mat.

also kinda looks like some sort of miniature anthelia.... or like the other poster said a xenia... looks troublesome to me, not sure how you would go about a full erradication, no telling how far it may have already spread...