• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ID? tentacles coming from rock at night??

At night i have these tentacle things that emerge from the a piece of live rock. They look like the legs of a starfish but they extend so far that im not really sure. They are banded tan and gray/black, and they have bristles along them. I dont think its a worm because their thickness tapers off towards the end, like a tentacle. any help would be great. thanks!
Dave

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Look like micro brittle stars. I have thousands of them in my tanks. They are great little clean up guys.

hmm - these are my micro stars....
micro_stars_1.jpg

I think yours are just regular brittle stars. Did you try and spot feed? Usually when I put a small piece of shrimp/silversides - the star will try and pull it into the LR to eat. Also if you re-aquascape, I bet there is a good chance that simply lifting the rock up - you'll find the star right underneath. They they are bristle worms - then you should be able to see the hole the retract into (sometimes I've seen them build little silky tubes to come out of.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Brittle stars are huge, like 8-10 inches from tip to tip. The micros I have are about 2-3 inches tip to tip with a body about this size "O".

last time i moved the rock i did see some tiny brittles (this was before i knew they exisited), i just thought they were babies. so now that im thinking about it, this does seem like the most logical explanation. thanks for the help guys! :)

perseus has to first find the witches to locate medusa...I never knew perseus went by the userid butrball12!