• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

If crashing....what do you do?

eholceker

NJRC Member
I probablly would not move things around. As difficult as it may be better off leaving everything as is. Not sure I agree with turning off your skimmer. Would put that back on and would skim wet. Your going to need the extra o2. Polyfilters should be added and and that's really all you can do at this point

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I would take some water and get it test it at a fish store.
And see how they compare To your numbers.

if you close to another reefer I would have them come over and
Test your water with their equipment. Every time I have a problem with a tank it’s almost always salinity.

I would send out a icp test immediately. I would also test
My RO DI to make sure it’s at zero TDS.

Last edited:

erics210

NJRC Member
I probablly would not move things around. As difficult as it may be better off leaving everything as is. Not sure I agree with turning off your skimmer. Would put that back on and would skim wet. Your going to need the extra o2. Polyfilters should be added and and that's really all you can do at this point
getting a little buzz from the skimmer. just a light tingle where I have some cuts in the cuticle.
but will put back online.

erics210

NJRC Member
Parameters are all where I expect them. I believe this is a bacterial thing from the gunk that was shot around the tank.
And eholceker is probably right. Had ordered the Cipro but would love to get treatment started ASAP. Wish someone close by had some..

erics210

NJRC Member

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220222-183820.png
    Screenshot_20220222-183820.png
    729.5 KB · Views: 0

erics210

NJRC Member

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220223-085511.png
    Screenshot_20220223-085511.png
    223.8 KB · Views: 0

eholceker

NJRC Member
Bought one Monday evening. Won't be here till Saturday. Ahhhhh
But could be worse. NOW out of stock.
Seems like you only need a couple pills for treatment. So good to have on hand.
I can give you a pill if you need one. How far are you from 07724.

Damn man that sucks, I did a water change the other day, knocked the probe for temp out of the water, didn’t realize until like 40 mins later, temp was at f****** 95 degrees...lost my koji wada, and palau nepthea

erics210

NJRC Member
I can give you a pill if you need one. How far are you from 07724.
Like an hour and twenty minutes.
It's not the gas and tolls. It's finding 3 hours for the round trip that gets me.

Anyone closer by any chance?
Can replace the pill this weekend.
Lmk

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I can confirm that I don't have any stray voltages in my tank. I really think that may be causing some upsets. As mentioned above, maybe put a backup skimmer in or put additional powerheads pointed at the surface and remove the skimmer to remove any stray voltages.

Yes but you want it tied to a gfi so the breaker pops if their is voltage.
The GFCI (no matter if receptacle or breaker) only pops with imbalance of hot and neutral, it does not monitor the ground. The whole idea of putting the probe in is to give a reliable path to ground. They provide those fake plugs (and sometimes a pigtail) for a little more ease of install, but you could just as easily use the pigtail and connect to the common ground in the box and not waste an outlet spot.

So the idea is when you stick say your hand in the water you pick up that excess voltage and it does not go back on the neutral so the GFCI senses that and it trips (so you don't end up dead). You would always want that excess voltage flowing through the ground if it is stray.

erics210

NJRC Member
Soooo. Things have seemed to have slowed. I mean. Np super rapid losses visible. Sure things are slowly dying, but...started the Cipro treatment this morning. Mark from Wayne,NJ hooked me up with a pill to get me started before my Chewy order arrives Saturday.

Guidance is a little fuzzy here.
I see where I should dose 3.3ml per 70 gallons every other day for 7-10 days.
Somewhere I was reading to do water changes, on the alternate days, some so not.
Water changes or not.
Tank, Sump and connected frag tank are 135 gallons of system water, so dosed just under 7ml this morning.

So I do a water change tomorrow morning?
20%?
Or a smaller one, maybe 5-10 gallons?
Looking for input.

eholceker

NJRC Member
Soooo. Things have seemed to have slowed. I mean. Np super rapid losses visible. Sure things are slowly dying, but...started the Cipro treatment this morning. Mark from Wayne,NJ hooked me up with a pill to get me started before my Chewy order arrives Saturday.

Guidance is a little fuzzy here.
I see where I should dose 3.3ml per 70 gallons every other day for 7-10 days.
Somewhere I was reading to do water changes, on the alternate days, some so not.
Water changes or not.
Tank, Sump and connected frag tank are 135 gallons of system water, so dosed just under 7ml this morning.

So I do a water change tomorrow morning?
20%?
Or a smaller one, maybe 5-10 gallons?
Looking for input.
I would probablly not do a water change but I don't think it would harm anything if you did it right before redosing.

erics210

NJRC Member
I was reading more and more. Seems the light breaks down the cipro too. Had also lowered my light intensity 2 day ago but will probably do a small water change before lights out and then dose at night.

Also I read some info about doing 1 to 2 hour dips in a higher concentration for corals that look affected. Suggested 125mgs for a 10 gallon mix. I have a open brain wellso that is showing signs of infection so feel he is getting a bath tonight. the article said once lights are out, mix up the solution of cipro, and then float the coral for an hour or 2 in a tupperwear to maintain the temp. Said to do it nightly as long as it shows signs of infection.

Thank you all for being there for me through this.
I can see how some reefers call it quits! It is devestating but I am battling!

erics210

NJRC Member
Just when I thought I was in the clear. Was hitting day 6 of Cipro and seemed things had stabilized. Nope! Came down this morning and several of my torches are BJD. Can't win!!!