• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

If You Need to Fresh Water Dip

Paul B

NJRC Member
If you really need to freshwater dip you need to make sure the temp and pH of the fresh water is the same and if the fish sinks to the bottom, or tries to jump out it needs to be removed fast. Fresh water kills flukes but it also kills tangs, just slower.

It broke my heart but I had to fresh water dip my new copperband because the gill flukes were just to much for her. She lost the flukes and had no problems.
As you may know I am "almost" totally against medication as it rarely turns out well and I truly feel it is what causes most diseases, not the other way around which is why my fish "never" get sick.

I also feel if you want to observe a fish for some reason I would not put it in a small tank, especially a tang, with PVC fittings.
That alone would make a healthy fish sick. I would use red clay bricks or even clay flowerpots. Fish are intensely afraid of anything pure white and won't go near it.
Also if you can see the fish, it can see you. Pvc is also to big. Fish like and need to jam themselves into tight places so other fish such as moray eels don't eat them and they are horrified if they can't feel secure.
In the sea a fish would be eaten instantly if it was in a PVC fitting.

Put a PVC elbow in your reef and see what the fish do. I bet they run and hide. Pure White is a color fish never see and it reflects all the colors of the spectrum. Our fish, in a tank see all of those colors which is frightening, almost like seeing me in a Speedo. :rolleyes:

All our fish live below 30' in the sea and they don't get to see all those colors in one place. Only blue light penetrates there. It's like when I was young and used to go to Disco's.
(I am a great dancer :p) They used to have psychedelic colors brought out by black lights. It was garish and if you have never seen it before, even scary, especially to a fish which may not have ever gone to a disco.

These were below 30' deep. The only reason you see the yellow on the moorish Idol is because of the flash on my camera. Everything else is blue.

See any White PVC in there?

There is a colorful spotted moray eel in the center, but all you see id blue.

In an observation or quarantine tank use blue or some muted color like clay bricks. The clay won't absorb medications and you can make tight holes that make the fish feel secure.

To be successful in this hobby we need to be fish doctors and physiologists so we not only know how they feel physically, but more importantly Physiologically which we often fail to recognize which is the reason for all the disease forums.
Again, just my opinion of course.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Yes Bobby, But they hate you. :eek2:

If you put a real rock in there, which one do you think they would rather hide in?
Put that 1 1/2" Tee in your reef and see what the fish do. Those fish don't know any better and are probably stupified from Prizapro. :oo:

I don't see any dragon pipefish so you need to get some and send them to me. But don't show them those PVC pipes. :biggrin:

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Yes Bobby, But they hate you. :eek2:

If you put a real rock in there, which one do you think they would rather hide in?
Put that 1 1/2" Tee in your reef and see what the fish do. Those fish don't know any better and are probably stupified from Prizapro. :oo:

I don't see any dragon pipefish so you need to get some and send them to me. But don't show them those PVC pipes. :biggrin:

Just like a month inside the house ain't gonna kill you, the same holds true for fish in QT. ;) They'll get on with their lives once they reach the DT.

Supposedly all the wholesalers are either shutting down or running out of fish, so I'd buy what you can right now if you really need a fix.

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I hear Florida is almost catching up to us so I hope you are staying safe, screw the fish.

Things aren't anywhere near as bad on the panhandle (where I am) as they are in the peninsula. Especially near Miami and Tampa. But I can't go back home (Louisiana) because Florida probably wouldn't let me back in. :oo: These are interesting times, old friend.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Yeah, Great isn't it. We have over 20,000 cases here on eastern Long Island now because all the people from the city came out here.

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Yeah, Great isn't it. We have over 20,000 cases here on eastern Long Island now because all the people from the city came out here.

I just read they are deploying 1,000 military to NYC. And I don't think they are coming there for a parade! :p

I just keep telling myself, "This too shall pass." What's done is done. Hopefully we can all learn from this and better protect ourselves in the future.

I just read they are deploying 1,000 military to NYC. And I don't think they are coming there for a parade! :p

I just keep telling myself, "This too shall pass." What's done is done. Hopefully we can all learn from this and better protect ourselves in the future.
That’s a huge problem here,, all the nuckle head NYC people are coming to their summer homes here on LBI. This one nurse came to see her parents and gave them the Virus(they are in their late 80s) then they went to church and infected 13 other people (4 of them died). What an irresponsible person this woman is and she’s a nurse you would think she knows better. Stupid people everywhere

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
That’s a huge problem here,, all the nuckle head NYC people are coming to their summer homes here on LBI. This one nurse came to see her parents and gave them the Virus(they are in their late 80s) then they went to church and infected 13 other people (4 of them died). What an irresponsible person this woman is and she’s a nurse you would think she knows better. Stupid people everywhere

They have checkpoints setup on the Interstate at the Florida border. If you have Louisiana plates or driver's license, they tell you to self-quarantine for 14 days. State Troopers want to know where you'll be staying in Florida so they can check on you every so many days.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
They have checkpoints setup on the Interstate at the Florida border. If you have Louisiana plates or driver's license, they tell you to self-quarantine for 14 days. State Troopers want to know where you'll be staying in Florida so they can check on you every so many days.

I heard if you don't have a FL id they won't let you in to the state. Still trying to confirm this.

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I heard if you don't have a FL id they won't let you in to the state. Still trying to confirm this.

1) Where are the checkpoints?
There is a checkpoint along Interstate 95, 13 miles south of the Georgia border in Nassau County.

There is also a checkpoint on Interstate 10 near the Florida-Alabama border.

2) How does it work?
All drivers, except semi-trucks, are filtered off of the highway and into lanes at a weigh station where they are asked questions by members of the Florida Health Department standing under tents.

If you are coming from an area not considered a coronavirus hot spot you can continue on your way.

3) What if you are coming from a hot spot?
If you are coming from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut or Louisiana you are asked to pull up to a different set of tents. There you are asked more questions about where you are coming from and where you are going.

4) What kind of paperwork is filled out?
Drivers flagged as coming from hot spots are given paperwork to fill out with the address of where they are coming from and where they will be staying in Florida.

They must also sign to acknowledge that they are being asked to self-quarantine for two weeks when they first get into the stat.

5) What happens if you break quarantine?
According to the governor's mandate, not self-isolating after being flagged at the checkpoint is considered a second degree misdemeanor. That is punishable by up to 60 days in jail and/or a $500 fine.

Source: Here’s What You Should Know About Florida's New Checkpoints

That’s insane. You would think a nurse would know better. But sadly, common sense isn’t very common.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
1) Where are the checkpoints?
There is a checkpoint along Interstate 95, 13 miles south of the Georgia border in Nassau County.

There is also a checkpoint on Interstate 10 near the Florida-Alabama border.

2) How does it work?
All drivers, except semi-trucks, are filtered off of the highway and into lanes at a weigh station where they are asked questions by members of the Florida Health Department standing under tents.

If you are coming from an area not considered a coronavirus hot spot you can continue on your way.

3) What if you are coming from a hot spot?
If you are coming from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut or Louisiana you are asked to pull up to a different set of tents. There you are asked more questions about where you are coming from and where you are going.

4) What kind of paperwork is filled out?
Drivers flagged as coming from hot spots are given paperwork to fill out with the address of where they are coming from and where they will be staying in Florida.

They must also sign to acknowledge that they are being asked to self-quarantine for two weeks when they first get into the stat.

5) What happens if you break quarantine?
According to the governor's mandate, not self-isolating after being flagged at the checkpoint is considered a second degree misdemeanor. That is punishable by up to 60 days in jail and/or a $500 fine.

Source: Here’s What You Should Know About Florida's New Checkpoints

I cannot locate any info to confirm so am guessing it's false. A good friend told me though.