• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Igniter issues Lighting

I went to replace my sockets in my Aqua Medic Spacelight this morning, when I went to disconnect the wires from the igniter the plastic crumbled in my hands. I searched the internet, and can't find any info on the igniter so I guess I need to know if the newer ballast have the igniter built in? Is anyone able to assist me in rewiring this(I will come to you)? How long can my corals go without light?

thanks

I cannot tell you anything other then what a molex connector is. When you have a power supply and you want to hook it up to something it normally would come with connectors built into it ( hardwired ) However, with a molex power supply you basically have a connector that connects to the power supply allowing you to only have the wires you need and not a whole bunch extra just hanging there doing nothing.

I am surprised no one is around to help you more, but I am sure they will be soon. I would be more concerned with your pumps and circulation / heating element / power in the tank more so then the lights. I think the corals will be fine. Make today and overcast day. :) I know the feeling though.. It's the " I need help to get this thing fixed before its too late to order it for tomorrow syndrome" Hopefully someone will chime in shortly. Good Luck!

Response from Ice Cap ;D

The ballast pictured is Icecap's newest 250MH ballast. You do not need an ignitor as everything is built into the ballast. Wiring it in will be real simple. It has a power cord and all you need to do is connect the 2 wires to the lamp and ground it. Be advised this will of course have to be mounted externally from the hood as it will not fit in the Aqua-Medic Fixture.

I ordered the ballast, let's see what tomorrow brings ::)

sinkingbeach said:
I went to replace my sockets in my Aqua Medic Spacelight this morning, when I went to disconnect the wires from the igniter the plastic crumbled in my hands. I searched the internet, and can't find any info on the igniter so I guess I need to know if the newer ballast have the igniter built in? Is anyone able to assist me in rewiring this(I will come to you)? How long can my corals go without light?

thanks

I had a similar problem with my Aqua Medic Space light. I removed all the ballasts and other junk, except the bulb holders. I rewired the entire fixture using Blue Line E Ballasts for the MHs. I used them because they could be mounted remotely, without the need for an additional box to house the ballasts. See them here - http://www.championlighting.com/home.php?cat=539

I also like the Ice Cap ballasts, and have used them in fixtures where I could easily mount them inside. However, they are very difficult to mount inside an Aqua Medic fixture. You'll also now have a fixture that is a lot lighter, and easier to handle.

In addition, by converting to electronic ballasts, you'll save a bundle on electricity. The space light I have was especially bad because they took a fixture made for the European market, where 240V power is typical, and modified it by adding a step up transformer to convert 120V to 240V. A transformer or coil and core ballast is only about 65% efficient. Compare that to an electronic ballast which is typically about 90% efficient.

If you have a similar arrangement, to what I had, the savings in electricity will pay for the electronic ballasts in about 12 - 18 months.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Francis. Did you order this already? The last time I spoke with Faith from TFJ. She had a dual ballast in stock for about 2/3 of the price of 2 singles.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
sinkingbeach said:
mikem said:
Francis. Did you order this already? The last time I spoke with Faith from TFJ. She had a dual ballast in stock for about 2/3 of the price of 2 singles.

Mike I ordered it earlier(before 3).

I guess I have to get an office job so I have more access to the forums to help out a little better.