• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

IM 100g stocking ideas

well I got lucky enough to get a IM 100g EXT rimless tank so I need a new stocking list idea from my current 40 breeder.

40 Breeder Stocking...

2x clowns
Madias Blenny
Melanaurus Wrasse
Tomini Tang (2")

What I am thinking of adding...

Yellow Coris Wrasse
Leopard Wrasse
pintail Fairy Wrasse
Helfinchi Firefish x2
chalk bass

Maybe an anthias,

This one fish I do want is a purple or yellow tang obviously that cant be added with all the above so it would have to change a bit but the tank size is 48x24x20 going with Marco Rock Shelf very swim open. Sump is massive 44x22x20 with a really big fuge/skimmer section.

any thoughts here ?

all info in very appreciated.

PS: is anyone interested in a new in box Deep Blue 80 with a supplied bean animal coast to coast overflow box ?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
First off make sure you have a very secure lid for that tank as you have multiple jumpers. All the fish on your list would be fine in that tank. I would just add the leopard later, give your tank some time to build up some micro fauna for him to feed on. They can be very delicate and hard to get eating. Also I assume you are going to have a sand bed with those fish. I love helfrichi firefish and we have had them multiple times, but they can't really be sexed so you are kind of rolling the dice with getting two. You might get a pair, or one might kill the other. In that sized tank you should be ok if they decided to spar. Anthias, go for a trio if you can, you will have a better success rate, there are a bunch of different species out there on the easier to keep end that should do fine in your tank.

I think you could be ok with a small yellow or purple in there, a 4 foot tank is generally enough for that type of fish. The only issue i really see is the mixing of wrasses could cause some aggression. Maybe keep the melanarus but drop the yellow coris.

2x clowns
Madias Blenny
Melanaurus Wrasse
Tomini Tang (2")
Leopard Wrasse
pintail Fairy Wrasse

anthias x3
sunburst anthias (one or other)

chalk bass
yellow tang

how does this list sound ? I like the purple much more than the yellow but im afraid of tang addition after the purple in a bigger tank.

What lights & powerheads were you planning for this tank? I ordered the same tank Wednesday, should have it close to end of month and am in the planning stage

I’m pretty torn on lights. I have 2 hydra 26’s and might get 2 more to get even coverage. But I’m also considering getting either two radios 30’s or 4 15’s to get even coverage. I’ve found that gotten even par is better than super hot spots.

Powerhead I’m either going with my tunze 6095 wide flows (prob not nothing wrong with them but I’m looking for some of the new products to try. Interested in tunze pumps ? Very good condition lol.)

Second option is the reef octo pulse 4’s

Last option 2 gyres

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
If you go gyres, the jaebo crossflows are a good alternative for the price

Last edited:

horseplay

NJRC Member
I’m pretty torn on lights. I have 2 hydra 26’s and might get 2 more to get even coverage. But I’m also considering getting either two radios 30’s or 4 15’s to get even coverage. I’ve found that gotten even par is better than super hot spots.

Powerhead I’m either going with my tunze 6095 wide flows (prob not nothing wrong with them but I’m looking for some of the new products to try. Interested in tunze pumps ? Very good condition lol.)

Second option is the reef octo pulse 4’s

Last option 2 gyres

I recommend ATI Hybrid LED fixture for even coverage (hint, hint) :)

I tried Gyre not a fan. Mostly because of the larger footprint and high maintenance. With vortechs very long time between cleaning is fine and cleaning is very simple.

Two tangs in that size tank will not be happy base on my own experience, so I would pick one I like. Zebrasoma is fine in that size tank for a long time but you never know. Leopard Wrasse are very cool fish. Also like the yellow Coris, very curious fish hunting all the time. Of course my all time favorite is CBB. Reef safe, picking at the rocks and swimming around all the time.

if anybody would like to chime in on this revision to my list im all ears.

I want to clarify this from the start in 3 years of reef keeping ive gone from a 29g->40g with 40 sump->100g with 55g sump (48x24x20 tank, 44x22x20 sump) so I have NO PROBLEMS WITH UPGRADING

the current stock list

clown pair
3" tomini Tang (including tail (no he is not stunted on growth he fat like a pear shape if you look at him from front))
Madis Blenny
Melanarus Wrasse

ADDITIONS

yellow tang (will be getting as small as possible and upgrade the tank as he matures with the tomini)
pintail wrasse supermale
leopard wrasse
copper band butterfly will also try to get as small as possible
sunburst anthias x1
chalk bass
yasha goby or high fin goby
maybe one other bottom dweller if I can think of one that does not spit sand as I want trachy/scoly's

small change .. I think the CBB will be a possible issue as I love my torches ... probably swap for a flasher gene wrasse

the current stock list

clown pair
3" tomini Tang (including tail (no he is not stunted on growth he fat like a pear shape if you look at him from front))
Madis Blenny
Melanarus Wrasse

ADDITIONS

yellow tang (will be getting as small as possible and upgrade the tank as he matures with the tomini)
pintail wrasse supermale
leopard wrasse
Flasher wrasse Gene.
sunburst anthias x1
chalk bass
yasha goby or high fin goby
maybe one other bottom dweller if I can think of one that does not spit sand as I want trachy/scoly's

horseplay

NJRC Member
For this size tank I feel you're missing a center piece fish. I would suggest something a little bit more expensive, a black tang or a regal angelfish. CBB's are still an option. My two specimen never touched any corals. Anyway that's what I would do if I setup a larger tank again.

I would think that both those fish (black tang, regal) would be very large quick for the current tank, yes upgrade is an option but would most likely have to happen faster with that stock. any ideas of a smaller "center piece" fish

I do like the idea of more fish being active then just a few beauties