• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

InkBird Temp Controller

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Is this the correct one? I set it up with the new heaters and the heater I plugged into it won't show the on/off indicator or display the temp. If I plug the heater directly to the outlet everything works fine.
Did I setup the InkBird incorrectly?

Inkbird ITC-308S Aquarium Heating and Cooling Dual Stage Temperature Controller Freshwater Saltwater Aquarium Tropical Fish Ornamental Shrimp

VIVOSUN 200W Aquarium Heater Submersible Titanium Fish Tank Heaters with Intelligent LED Temperature Display and External Temperature Controller

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Chris, I did watch the u-tube vid for the model I have. I am thinking the heaters are not compatible with the controllers. I sent the heater company an email asking if it was.
I guess worse case is to use the glass Aqueon heater with the Inkbird.

There shouldn't be any issue in terms of compatibility with the heater and the Inkbird controller. The Inkbird design is fairly basic - it's just a temp probe and a couple outlets that are controlled by the temp probe depending on what you programmed the settings to be. If you plug the Inkbird into an outlet and nothing is displayed, then there's a problem with the Inkbird.

On the other hand, if the Inkbird display is on but the heater you plug in won't turn on (after you verified that the heater works by itself already), then it means that there's no power being fed to the outlets on the Inkbird. That either means that the Inkbird is faulty and won't put power through, or more likely, the settings are such that the Inkbird has turned those outlets off.

I've been using the Inkbird on my QT tanks with some of those cheaper Tetra heaters that are set to exactly 78 degrees with no option to change. There are times where the Tetra heater would be on if I plugged it into the wall since the Tetra believes that it hasn't gotten to 78 degrees. However, I don't trust their thermometer, so I plug the Tetra into the Inkbird which I've set to 78 degrees before plugging into the wall. That way, if either the Tetra reads 78 degrees or the Inkbird does through its temp probe, the power gets cut off and I don't wind up boiling the small QT tank.

The only way that you'll get heating currently is if both the Inkbird and the heater believe that the temperature they're reading is below whatever temps that you set on each of them.

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have read a lot of forum's. It is a good over all temp for majority of reef inhabitants. in the summer Temps & winter Temps in the house, just a good overall temp .plus if you loose power it is easier to get stabilized....

78 +/-1. Make sure your probe is reading the same as a thermometer, had to calibrate mine by a degree. Whatever you keep it at prob depends on your livestock.

Last edited:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
The Inkbird is holding steady at 76.8. Both heaters sump/DT are set for 76.
@Goodair, that is a problem. I was using the inkbird, crappy digital and glass mercury thermometer and all had a different number.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
If the fish are pissing me off I turn it to 60 or 90, depending on my mood, till I establish dominance again.