• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Interceptor and Shrimp

How likely is it that Interceptor will kill my Cleaner and Fire Shrimp if I do not remove them from the display tank while treating for red bugs? My tank is 120 gallons with a 30 gallon sump. I plan to use 1 pill to treat the whole system (about 100 gallons of water). I made two different bottle traps, one with a 16 ounce Gatorade bottle and one with a 32 ounce Gatorade bottle. The shrimp know the food is in the bottle but don't want to venture into the bottle. Any suggestions? Should I just treat the tank with Interceptor and when the shrimp are a little out of it I can scoop them up or is this a risky option?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I just started a red bug treatment yesterday and asked the same question. If you can't get them out, I was told that it will stun them but probably won't kill them. Another reefer on here dosed with coral banded shrimp in the display and did not kill them. I pulled out our cleaner shrimp but it is only a 20g display which made it quite easy. I was told some places even run it in their systems constantly to prevent against them.

when I did the treatment My 2 copper band ad a peppermint survived. During treatment they seemed a little sluggish but no permanent damage