• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Introduction

Hello,
My name is Patrick Cullinan, I grew up in Somerville NJ, moved down south for ten years then back here to NJ in 1988. I have had few tanks for many years raising discus fish for many years, but now have embarked upon starting a new sw 55 gallon tank to begin along with a qt 20 gallon tank. I live in North Plainfield and am interested in the hobby of reef tanks. Hopefully I can graduate to a much larger tank in the future. But for now I’m eager to see how this new venture pans out.

Welcome aboard! You've got both Reefco and Ocean Gallery right down the street from you. Both great resources.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Hello Patrick. Welcome to the club. We lived in North Plainfield for about 18 years before moving to Bridgewater. ReefCo in Greenbrook is a great resource, Ocean Gallery is right there in North Plainfield, and Aquatic Obsessions in Avenel isn't too far either.

Hello Patrick! Good luck with your tank, if i may offer a suggestion, a 75g would be much better as a reef tank because of the width of the tank. Either way, good luck and everyone here is super helpful, no judgement (unlike other pages like fb) and you can find some great deals. There are some great people here

Thank you everyone for the welcome. I realize a 55 gallon tank gives me only 12 inches width of space, but as a first try, I believe that I will cut down on the amout of live rock I use to start and utilize the additional space for fish to swim. My budget is kind of small right now. Thanks for the info.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
If you need a stand, I have a 90 gallon sitting in my basement from an old tank. It is wood and would probably need to be restained. It is the same length as the 55, just wider. Then you could upgrade to a 90 at some point down the road. ;)

erics210

NJRC Member
Just made this meme for another discussion so thought it would be funny to post here too.
Welcome!
1614714950446.png