• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Introduction

I just want to say "hi" to everyone. I am in the process of starting my very first reef tank -- I don't even have the tank yet, its on order and should be in this Friday. It is only a 30 gallon, just to make sure I'm actually able to maintain life.

More to come (mostly questions), I'm sure :) 8)

My Reef Tank: THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY BLANK ;)

Welcome Were do you live? tell us what equipment your using and don't be afrade to ask a question you mite feel is stupid.It's only stupid if you don't ask and if you did it would of say you money and or time.One sugestion is to buy a good skimmer!That's a vary important equipment to have for your system.You can't over skim!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi and Welcome! Good luck with your tank. Do you know how you're going to get it started? Most people today recommend fishless cycling (using raw shrimp to start the ammo building). Who did you get your tank from? We got ours from Tropaquarium.

Ok, to answer your questions....
I live in Mt Tabor -- a section of Parsippany in Morris County

I bought the tank A(All Glass 20 gallon rectangular - lost my paper with measurements) and equipment from Dover Pet Store in Dover. Hopefully I will be picking it up this Friday. With it is 2 65w lights, 20lbs of live sand, a 150w heater, prism skimmer, hydrometer, salt and a powerhead and 5lb of live rock.

I will definitely go with the fishless cycle, as I'm more interested in soft corals and invertabrates than fish, but will probably get 2 or 3 tank bred clownfish for my kids (gotta have Nemo fish)

I've been visiting ALOT of stores in the area to find a place for supplying me with stuff - its amazing how much things vary. The nicest reef tank I found was in someone's basement who has a home-based business for supply and servicing tanks.

Well, as you may notice, I like to "talk" so I'll stop now before you tired of me on only my 2nd post.

Talk all you want, thats why we're all hear,

I would be looking at about 20 - 30 pounds of rock for your tank, The rock is your primary filter. Should consider a protein skimmer and a RO unit. I would also invest in a Refractor (the hydrometers arent that good) You can buy lots of stuff off the net, Marinedepot.com is a good site, also Customaquatics. But there are lots of others. Go with a sump if you can (it will give you someplace to put your heaters and give you a bit more volumn.)

I would also invest in a couple of good books. Amazon.com has them. Reef Secerts is a good book (see link below)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...8/sr=2-4/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_4/104-5008585-1421568

Welcome Paula
Sounds pretty good start but I would get more live rock.The rule people usllay go by is 1 to 1 1/2 pound of LR to gallons.Then sit back wait a couple weeks and check your readings and see if they are all ok.The hardest rule is to go slow makes a better tank.Any question even if you think it's dumb ,it isn't.

welcome paula, and good luck with your tank, i live in jefferson "oak ridge" if you went to dover pet shop you will amazed the nice soft coral they have in animal house in rute 23, if you need anything just let us know, and please feel free to talk anything you want
i think
:p

Yes Animal house is Great.Ask for RJ.He knows his stuff and easy to talk to .he use to be a wholeseller and really made the place nice. It's a small place but nice stuff and not bad prices.They get new stuff in on Monday.It's in Butler right behide the Burger King.

big rotties are you RJ?? ;) man if you like to talk good about that guy
lmao j/k man i like that store too
but are you RJ