• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Inverts for a new tank

Hello all!
It's been a few months where my tank has been cycling and ready, now that the weather is getting better, I put a order on 2 fish for next week.
My question is when should I put in some inverts? I got some algae growing on the glass but not much. Is it a good time to start putting in some snails and urchins?
If yes, what is good to throw in for food so they don't starve?

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
If your tank is cycled and parameter are good, there is algae in the tank, you can put in snails. If you are turning your lights on, there is no need to yet and the lights will fuel the algae. Post a photo of your tank so we have an idea on the quantity of algae present. Tank parameters if you have it. Congrats on the new setup! :dance:

I am slightly behind as my cycle is not yet complete. About how long after the cycle is complete and you introduce your first fish do you wait to turn the lights on. I have read as long as four months. Is this accurate or over cautious Congrats Good air on the new tank. Post some photos. Would love to see your set up.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Fishies don't need reef lights. Ambient room light is plenty. So no reef lights on will help with initial algae growth. Humans want that light on with just rocks in the tank:D

Fishies don't need reef lights. Ambient room light is plenty. So no reef lights on will help with initial algae growth. Humans want that light on with just rocks in the tank:D

Got it. So no lights till the first coral is placed (and yes I’m guilty of looking at lit up rocks) :)

Ammonia, Nitrites 0
Nitrates would slowly tick up. It's about 10ish ppm atm.
Inkbird is set for 76-78 F, there is a thermometer to check in case too, trying not to be too reliant on the electronics.
Salinity is 1.25

90 gal, plans are for a predator tank and soft corals
-Either a radiata or Antenata lionfish
-Panther grouper and gonna trade it in once it starts to get too big
-foxface lo or one spot
-some kind of bristle tang
-snails, a urchin and a brittle star down the road

I've been active on R2R and have a build thread on there but figured I should start to be more active on here aswell. Here is a current pic.

20190325_165822.jpg

I am slightly behind as my cycle is not yet complete. About how long after the cycle is complete and you introduce your first fish do you wait to turn the lights on. I have read as long as four months. Is this accurate or over cautious Congrats Good air on the new tank. Post some photos. Would love to see your set up.
I've been cycling to rock since Janurary. The ammonia and nitrites actually started to process in my rubber bin when the tank was almost complete. I swapped them over and continued to ghost feed and check parameters.

Got it. So no lights till the first coral is placed (and yes I’m guilty of looking at lit up rocks) :)
At first I had the light off too, but that didn't last either, lol. The blues look soooo nice.