• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

is there a point when there is just too much?

in an lps/softie tank, as long as nothing is touching eachother, is there such a thing as too much coral? can a tank be over stocked? i mean no empty space with lots and lots of stuff, is it sustainable in the long run?
what i have:
very big finger leather (9"ish tall 8"ish round)
big devils hand (7"ish tall 6"ish round)
2 medium kenya trees
about 60 mushrooms (no exaggeration, about 5 different colors)
orange tree coral
80ish polyp sun coral
4ish polyp dendro
12 polyp blasto merletti
4ish polyp aussie micromussa
about 15 or 20 differnt zoos and asst palys
a giant anthelia which i still have to give to albie(sorry, i'll call you)
a medium toadstool
15ish head torch
3 head pink frogspawn with 4 babies
2 head green frogspawn
6 head trumpet
12 head hammer
medium open brain (lobo?)
largish maze brain
a couple rics
3 hairy mushroom
and a small zenia forest
tank is 75g no sump well maintained canister and aquaclear 110 hob
150ish lbs of live rock.... has been pretty full for a while, but what i want to know is this a situation that could doom me in the long run? there are asst. palys growing between all this stuff, it's full.... sorry for the very long post

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Do you have a pic of the tank? It would be interesting to see the layout. The one concern that jumps out at me is the paly's. I'll admit that I'm a bit jaded by them though because one particular type that I had completely wiped out half of my nano. Between them and a group of mushrooms, everything in the tank was taken out. I started with one polyp of the paly in the lower left corner and one mushroom in the upper right. In about a year and half, the entire lower left was nothing but palys and the upper right was nothing but shrooms. They met in the middle and slugged it out with the shrooms coming out on top.

I'm not sure what type you have but you may want to keep an eye on them.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Roy. The last time I've seen your tank was before the SWAP. It was comfy then. ;D

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
REEFLECTIONS said:
thanks mike, i know it's nice for me to look at, but i just want to make sure the corals are comfy inside

I know Roy. Your wife must be looking over your shoulder reading our openions. SO, heres what I meant to say.
Your corals were comfy up until the day of the Swap. By now I'm sure you need a tank upgrade. ;D

lol, thanks mike.... i'll have to print this out and show her..... and thats coming from one of the resident expert....lol, but seriously mike, i'll be calling you one of these days to get some opinions from you on how to make my tank a little more advanced... adding overflow/sump/maybe ask a couple ideas on desing a canopy.... and btw. still giving away zenias origionating from the few stalks you gave me the first time we met...

damn it mike, where do you hide ur halo? ok, i have the tank for the sump... lets do this, when are you available to help me with some ideas? woo hoo, i'm gonna have a big boy tank (or shall i say big PERSON tank, sorry ladies)

hey. this tanks sounds like my tank except 2x as large and lots more population. my tank is a lps/softie combo 30G long with 20 sump. so far so good but getting to a point where i am worried about the same. i've learned recently that good population of softies are hazardous to sps (monti caps) so sticking to softie/lps combo and not not digressing to sps-s unless i restock.

sounds like you have had tremendous success so i suspect if i keep to your list, i will hope to achieve the same successes.

thx