• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ITC Parwise par meter

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
ive been thinking about getting this par meter since i first started seeing videos on youtube. Has anyone purchased it yet? price is cheaper that Apogee and has more features and parameters.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Photone iphone app is on par with any of the apogee meters out there, $5 app
I think thats only true once you establish a baseline...or at least thats what i read:

Apogee says this spot is 300....iphone app says x. Then you know 300=x...andso forth.

Rueric

NJRC Member
people have done the comparisons for both apogee and the iphone app, both are usualyl +-10 par from each other.
someone on this forum i spoke with recently did a similar comparison and confirmed
your call and whatever makes you most comfortable!

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Doing some research on this. Seems the only calibration you need for the Photone app is to determine the loss of par through the plastic you have the phone in. If you don't want to do that you can assume the plastic will drop the par by 10-20.
Watched a few vids and I'm convinced that it won't be perfect, but will provide an adequate estimate.
Going to try it tonight.

Here's the software site with info on using it for reef tanks...

A guide to calibration for reef tanks...

This guy gives a good review and analysis...

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, I knew the new G6 lights are weaker on PAR than previous models (but far superior on spread and spectrum).
Had mine set at 50% and I knew it was way low.
Assuming the Photone readings are correct, I was at about 100-120 at mid tank (SPS level).
Cranked them up to 85% for a reading of 250-280 and from what I've been reading it seems about right for these lights.

Might be worth checking the app out before dropping a few hundred. Its on both iOS and Droid now.

If anyone out there has a PAR meter and the Photone app it would be cool if they could chime in.