• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I've not seen this before...

Not sure. It was wiggling back and forth upside down when I found it. I had just done a red slime tx and had been doing water changes. Not sure if that caused it to die. I think I've seen these late at night. They move fast. Darren thinks it is a bad creature. Help!

So I just got home. Looked in the tank and found 3 more "parts" of whatever this is. I had just done a cyano cleaning and the chemi clean must have killed it. Corals are ok. Closed up but are coming back. I had been fighting cyano for a bit and used the bayer stuff. Worked great. Just do the water change after 48 hours. tyat had to kill whatever this is. I'll take more pictures in a bit

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Chris, I'm confused....what do you mean you used the bayer stuff. Bayer Complete Insecticide is a coral dip and not a tank treatment. Explain please.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Pretty crazy looking. Don't have a good id for you sorry. How big are the other pieces?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
If you happen to live in a castle, have a metal slab capable of being levered to the roof, a few lighting rods, and a misshapen manservant, it could make for an interesting weekend.

Oh, and Boyd makes Chemi-pure, was thinking about picking some up myself in case of emergencies.

It worked well on my cyano. I've been battling it for a while. Did major water changes -120'gallons over 2 days. Cleaned uph rock and added all my tunzes back. The gyre 150 is just not enough. Anyone know when the 170 is out? :)

So I figured out what the worm was. Not a worm at all. Seems that if you treat for cyano and have a large brittle star they are not a good mix. The worm parts were segments of my large brittle star. He is still alive but barely. Not sure he will make it. Had the bugger for a long time.... Oh well lesson learned

I don't know Chris. Now that you mention it, it does look like star arms, but I have treated a few tines in different tanks and never had an issue with any livestock. Maybe you have something in the tank taking him apart, Crab or shrimp perhaps.

He has been on my tank for over a year. No new things added. It had to be the treatment. I know not scientific but it did hit one of my soft corals hard (kinda sloughed off a layer like a bad burn). And knocked a bunch of hard corals back hard. They are recovering but ce close to losing some. I will say this for my 300 gallon tank I did water changes every day for 3 days. 50 gallons each. I ran heavy carbon and put a giant mat of chemi pure fabric. The one they sell at trop. It's prob 2 x3'. And then did water changes every weekend since. Again 50 gallons at a pop. I realized that I needed to lower my amount of food. Had to start scrubbing the detritus off the rock at the weak end of the flow. My tank is a peninsula and is just over the 8' mark. I NEED THE GYRE 170!