• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

January Meeting Details

Greg Hiller from Boston will be coming down for the January meeting. The meeting will be held at Jeff Curry's place on Saturday, January 15th, at 11am. Greg will be giving a presentation about the following:

Coral Propagation Secrets

Greg will give a full demonstration of several different methods and secrets of fragmenting and propagating many forms of soft corals, hard corals, and corallimorphs. He will touch on the importance water parameters and lighting for corals growth, give an update on the dreaded red-mite SPS parasites, and be available to answer questions ranging from calcium reactors to raising seahorses and clownfish.

Greg will also be bringing frags. Orders NEED to be placed/prepaid via paypal before January 5th or between January 11th-13th. Any questions/orders can be directed to NJreefersmeeting AT greghiller DOT com. This is the NOT the same address for the paypal. For payments, please use corals AT greghiller DOT com. Nothing will be held without payment.

Colorful, tank-raised SPS, LPS, soft corals, and reef-safe tank-raised detritivores for sale

Frags/small colonies of colorful, tank-raised corals for sale, all encrusted down onto the substrate, and actively growing. I use small concrete disks (don't worry these are not ugly, unnatural looking huge things) for substrate. See the NEW web site www.greghiller.com for photos of the mother colonies, and detailed descriptions of growth patterns, colors under different lighting conditions, origin of mother colony (if known), and generalized care. All of these are from MY OWN tanks, some have been in tanks for multiple generations, most for several years. I do not have the evil red flatworms in any of my tanks.

SPS:

Acropora (all my Acropora are red-mite [parasite] free, for more info on these buggers see my article in the June, '03 edition of the on-line magazine Advanced Aquarist http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2003/toc.htm):

Larry Jackson's purple-tipped Acro. - 2" frags available, $25/ea

Purple-tipped Acro. with fine branches (originally from the New England Aquarium reef tank) - 2" frags $20/ea - these might be fresh frags held in place with putty epoxy, but they will be decent sized

Acropora ?aculeus? - bottle brush growth form with yellow highlighted coralites - particularly pretty under lots of actinic lighting - 1-2" frags - $22/ea - available, but may not be encrusted

Bright greenish-yellow Acropora loripes? (very unusual form for an Acropora) - 2" frags $16/ea - available, but may not be encrusted

Blue-tipped A. formosa? (wide open stag-type form) - 2-3" frags, mostly single branches - $23/ea

Bright green tissue with green polyps Acro - grows very fast - the slimer - 2" frags (in some cases these may be freshly mounted) - $20/ea

Aqua with blue tips Acro - very fast growth (in some cases these may be freshly mounted) - 2" frags - $26/ea

Acropora echinata? (as id'ed by Tropicorium) - blue highlighted coralites - 1" frag $24/ea - these are small, don't be surprised

Blue highlighted polyps Acropora - very fast growth - 2" frags $30/ea, or some large 3-4" colonies for $60/ea - this is super bright nearly solid blue/aqua under 400 W 10K German/XM, a paler, solid light blue under the Iwasaki bulbs

Anacropora puertogalarae (I'm actually fairly certain of the id on this) - pale brown, very fine and delicate branching species that grows quickly even under moderate lighting, does not effectively encrust, the colonies I sell are imbedded in putty epoxy - 1-2" multiple branched colonies - $15/ea - several available

Bright yellow Porites lichen - this is an encrusting species from a high wave zone in the Pacific - it will add some color to your rock structure - $12 for a 1" diameter fragment - available

Screaming Green Hydnophora (this does not encrust well, it might be mounted in putty epoxy when you receive) - 2-3" frags - $22

Montipora:

Bright green M. digitata - 2-3" frags, most with multiple branches - $22/ea

Bright orange M. digitata (these are nearly pink) - 2" frags, $22/ea - available, but might not be encrusted yet.

Bright orange M. capricornis (probably actually M. delicata or M. foliosa) - forms beautiful whorled structure, grows VERY fast even under moderate lighting - 2" frags - $25/ea

Bright green M. capricornis (also may be M. delicata or M. foliosa) - grows fast under moderate or strong lighting - $25 for a 2" frag

Green with purple rim M. capricornis (also may be M. delicata or M. foliosa) - one very flashy coral - might be recently mounted, there is a chance you may have to remount upon receipt - $33 for a 2" piece - may be quite limited in quantity on these!!

Green M. palawanensis? (similar in stucture to M. caps, but usually grows as a single, thick, whorl, nearly a perfect circle) - green with blue polyps under 400 W 10K Ushio and XM bulbs and also under 400 W 20 K Radium bulb - 1-2" frags - $35 available - may be quite limited!

Greenish Pocillopora damicornis (the green is in the center of the coral between the branches, and is not evident under all lighting conditions), does well even in low-moderate light - 1-2" diameter colonies - $15/ea

Brown Pocillopora damicornis (polyps have a faint green hue to the tips under VHO), does well even in low light - 1-2" colonies - $15/ea

Soft corals/zoanthids:

Silver pulsing Xenia - 2-3" high colonies - I have a bluish form that has larger, longer stalks, and a white form that tends to have more 'frilly' polyps - $17

Anthelia - $15 for small colony (2x2 inch piece) - this is like Xenia, but does not pulse, grows as a mat, and tends to have much larger polyps that 'blow in the wind' - will put you to sleep, watching the tank!

Yellow colonial polyps (bright yellow, like tiny coral flowers) - $17 for a colony - minimum of 25 polyps

Solomon Islands brown mushroom leather coral - most beautiful mushroom leather I've ever seen, zillions of extremely long polyps burst from the surface (check out the photo of this one on the web site!!), clownfish love to wallow in it - easy to propagate - $20 for a frag with a 1 inch diameter head - one available

Green tree corals (likely Sinularia though possibly Nephthea) - one of the fastest growing and hardiest soft corals I've ever owned, does well under moderate to strong light - a TRUE beginners coral - $20 for a colony (typically 2-3" when expanded)

New green tree coral (brighter green, but slower growing and encrusting than above variant), under many conditions this coral does not fully extend its polyps, but is still healthy - $33 for a 2" colony - available

Zoanthid colonies - multiple colors, 1. Rust orange centers with olive green perifery with orange/green tentacles - $20 per 2" dia colony. 2. Also have a rare hot pink form - $35 per 1" dia colony for these

LPS:

Green-centered Caulastrea - trumpet coral available 3-4 polyps - does well under moderate to strong lighting - $20

Green Glaxea (galaxy coral) - 2" diameter frags available, grows very fast under moderate light - $10

Pale green Euphyllia panancora - 2-3" when expanded - $15

Algae Cultures:

RED macroalgae rocks - this species grows well in a reef tank, easy to control, and VERY pretty. A tang would likely mow it down in a minute. Attaches well to rocks. 2-3" starter rock $10/ea

Grape Caulerpa - a fistfull for $8, great for refugia

Detritivores:

I sell them for the price of the trouble it takes for me to fish them out and bag them for you. They reproduce naturally in all my tanks, and none of them are harmful to corals or fish. These are all small critters, so shipping cost on them is very small. Get them into your tanks and they should reproduce. None of the cultures I send you will have the EVIL red flatworms!

- small snails (likely genus of Cerith, max shell length of 1 inch) 12/$5 - limited availability
- dwarf white (5 arm) or brown (six arm, and VERY brittle) brittle stars (max size is 1 1/2 inch arm to arm), two species (I won't guarantee I'll always have some of each, depends what I find when I'm fishing) 12/$5
- dwarf limpets - grow no larger than a dime - 12/$5 - limited availability
- Bristle worms (this species does not harm corals, Eurythoe spp.). 12/$5

Hi All,

Sorry for the late posting but we have been working out the details of the January meeting. The meeting will be held at my house, 72 Union Street Rockaway, NJ 07866 on the 15th of January, Saturday. The meeting will start @ 11:00 am with the lecture slated to start at 12:00 pm sharp (Greg needs to catch a train back to Boston so we will start on time).
Our guest speaker for this meeting will be noted aquarist Greg Hiller. He will speaking about Acropora husbandry & propagation, a similar lecture to the one he gave at MACNA (which I unfortunately missed). He will also be selling frags of his prized collection, some of which can be seen here . Frags will be sold prior to the meeting in this thread & a very limited supply will be available at the meeting.
The lecture will be free to all NJRC members & $5.00 for all non-members. Since this is the first meeting of the year please remember to bring your dues money.

Also we will have a members-only raffle & an all attendees raffle.
More details to follow.

Date: Saturday 15 January2005
Time: 11:00 am