• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

JCurry's 500g System Design & Build

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Lets see... fill your basement with SW and be able to swim with the fish. I think its a great idea, Jeff!

awesome Jeff i cant wait to see it :)
i have 250 on my 210 & it's 30 inch's tall the only difference i see from 250 to 400 is that the colors pop with 400's , u can still light ur tank with 250's but if u get the SPS bug bite & u want those exotic SPS they will color nice under 400's, not saying that 250's are bad u will just get different color,but ofcourse thats not the only thing u need to worry about :) how about that track system they had at macna i would look in to that just let them go back & forth.
best of luck to u.

Good Luck with the project. I look foward to following its progress.. Just a couple of notes from my personal experiences

1.. My 135 reef is 24" high and working inside it was really easy. Then I added a canopy which, though it hid the lighting and enhanced the overall appearance beautifully, raised the overall height to 30". Now working inside has become a chore adding lots of time (and frustration) to even the simplest tasks, and

2. I noted that you are unhappy with the "flat" look of your VHO lighting. I use a 3x150 and 2x70 watt HQI Metal Halide fixture
with the 150's @ 10k and the 70's @ 20k. The result is a tank that constantly "shimmers" at both the peak and low light periods.
The efeect especially in the evening with just the 70w 20k's on is really cool. If I have a regret, it is not going with the higher output 250/150 fixture that is also available).

Dom