• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jebao Propeller Pump Reliability?

radiata

NJRC Member
Is the Jebao Propeller Pump Reliable?

I had a Jebao RW-15 pump die on me a few months ago. I tried a new replacement impeller, but it didn't help. I now have another RW-15 dead in the water, but I haven't removed it from the 180 yet for an attempt at resuscitation. I still have two other RW-15s there, and still they appear to be working OK.

I was visiting with another NJ reefer two nights ago and noticed a Jebao in his 350. I asked if he had any problems with it. He said it was his experience that these pumps ALL fail within 12 to 18 months.

Anyone have any stories of Jebao PP failures or successes? Should I cut bait and go back to Tunzes?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
My wp25 has been running for about 2 years with no issues. It's a nice little pump I just wish it was a bit more controllable. Sorry no experience with the RW series.

I have 2 rw-15s. One running perfect for 2 years. 1 running perfect for 6 months.

I have been happy with them. RW and PP are essentially the same I believe. Only had 2 so my experience is anecdotal.

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
6 months in they are working well for me. Did you give them a good cleaning in vinegar? might help. At the price versus the really nice pumps honestly if they die every year I am still probably ahead of the game.

Price was my initial reason on my decision.

I haven't even ever cleaned mine and they are working well. I like being able to direct the flow also. I am happy with the controllers also. I added a second one after a year or so and they work great in Master/Slave mode.
Maybe I have been lucky, but I recommend them. Like Russel said, at that price, even if they need to be replaced occasionally you are still ahead of the game. (SO far I am way ahead and happy with them).

Side note. I saw they now have a gyre copy (I do not love when companies knock off other innovative products, but that's how the world works). Don't know anything about the any of the gyres though.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I have a RW-8 and a RW-4 in my tank both running for over a year without any problem. The only issue I had was one day a snail got into my RW-8, during feeding, and blocked the unit from spinning but that was about 4 months in. I do clean them about every 6 months

I had a wp25 die on me within two years. I currently have an RW8 that has been running for 6 months and a PP8 running for two months.

I have had bad luck with them. two went in less than a few months. I only have one more left, and when it goes I may splurge for a maxspect or ecotech

I have had bad luck with them. two went in less than a few months. I only have one more left, and when it goes I may splurge for a maxspect or ecotech

Same thing here. Two wp25 stop working in less then a yr. so I ended up buying a mp40.