• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jimroth's Big Ol' Tank

I haven't been making a lot of progress with my setup, for a number of reasons, so I thought that tracking my progress here might help my motivation a little. It was gonna be all set up by MACNA....

My new tank was built by Glasscages to my specs. It's 65X30X25, with a horizontal overflow. It has 2 1.5" drains and a 1.5" return. The front and sides are low-iron glass. It's perimeter-braced.

When you get a tank and stand from Glasscages you have to finish the stand yourself. I used Minwax medium oak stain and Minwax wipe-on polyurethane, 4 coats and sanding in between each coat.

My sump and service equipment are going in the garage, so I have had to cut a number of holes in the walls of my house for plumbing. Plus more holes once I saw the 2X4s, conduit, etc. behind the first holes I cut. ??? What I am getting at is that I have had to slide the hole 400lb. shebang away from the wall a number of times. Magic Sliders are great, I used the BIG ones and they even sell a tiny little jack so you can get the sliders under the furniture.

Other stuffs I have done: I built an 8-foot long bench in the garage to hold the sump and everything else. I have been using this model:http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/bench/below20.htmlBut it really costs more than $20 to build, unless you have free materials.

I got a free 50G tank from my neighbor to use as a sump. I have drilled it for the 2" bulkhead for my return pump. Something to think about--I drilled it from the outside, and ended up with chips on the inside where the bulkhead O-ring goes. I could have drilled it from the inside and had the chips on the outside! Durrrrrr. I have to drill a smaller hole for the skimmer pump, I'm going to try it from the inside. I'm gonna have to use some silicone on the chips or it will leak, even with the jumbo-size sched-80 bulkhead.

I have the drain plumbing mostly glued, but I need so run and glue some of the return pluming and design the manifold system. I got a trick manifold from Aquatic Eco, it's a bunch of valves glued together. Gonna plumb it off my return.

There is a Q-tank set up for the things I want to save from my old 55G setup, but I haven't moved anything yet. I'm gonna blast the livestock for flatworms before sending it to people to babysit. I need to set up a tub to cook the liverock, although it won't be going in my new tank, at least for a long time. I have a Rubbermaid tub where the liverock from my old 90 has been cooking FOR TWO YEARS. Still some stuff living on it.

So once the plumbing is glued, the next big thing is the leak test, got to run fresh water for a while and see if there are any kinks to iron out. I'm a little worried it will make a godawful flushing noise.

Going to need a little electrical work in the garage, I need some wall mounted outlet boxes rather than power cords all over the floor. It would be nice to have a transfer switch or at least a pigtail connected to the breaker box, ideally a small subpanel/transfer switch.

And so on, and so on.

Equipment List So Far:

• Return Pump: Sequence Dart
  • Skimmer Pump: PCX 55
  • Skimmer: Myreef MR2
  • Ca Reactor: Myreef CR1
  • Ballast: 2X Icecap 250W plus 2X VHO for actinics
  • Reflectors: 2X SE Lumenarcs
  • Circulation Pump: Vortec
  • Chiller: 1/3 hp Aquamedic, old and beat-up but works
  • Salt: Tropic Marin
  • Stomach acid relief: Prilosec
  • Headache Medicine: Alleve

jimroth said:
Equipment List So Far:

• Stomach acid relief: Prilosec
  • Headache Medicine: Alleve
I don't have the equipment or nearly the amount of effort put into my system like you do so far - but I can certainly vouch for the last two items on your list!!!! Been there done that!

I think the only thing missing is "how to endear spouse so that this hobby is acceptable!"

Well, you asked for it. I think this is going to be less impressive than a Britney Spears spelling test, but here goes.

This is the tank as it stands today. Like everything in my house, it has started to accumulate junk. I have spent more on PVC from Savko and Aquatic Eco than I did on my first tank.

Oct2007fidktsnk001.jpg

This shows how the drains go into the wall.
Oct2007fidktsnk003.jpg

Before we setup the new tank, my wife wanted us to remove the 70's dark wood panelling, fill the sheetrock, and paint the room. I haven't replaced the casing around the doors yet. Honestly, if I did everything I needed to around here there would be no time for the hobby.

The drains go behind the washer and dryer, you can see them on the left:
Oct2007fidktsnk006.jpg

and they comes out here:

Oct2007fidktsnk009.jpg

Here's the back-end bench. The sump is going underneath. You can see the elbow for the return up over the pegboard:
Oct2007fidktsnk008-1.jpg

I want the skimmer, CA reactor and refugium to be on top of the bench, along with a decent area for working. The tools on the pegboard are being relocated along with my saws etc. to my new workbench location on the other side of the garage.

Drilling the Sump

The return pump I have needs a 2" inlet, so I got a 2" bulkhead and somewhere I figured out I would need an 85mm glass drill to make the hole (thank you, ebay seller lauII). I mounted my pump on a board with bolts, backed that up with some open-cell rubber foam for sound deadening, and marked the holes on the 50G aquarium.
I wanted to make the hole with a drill stand but hey, silly me, the 85mm bit do not work with the drill stand. I ended up making a jig by using a hole saw to make similar sized hole in a block of wood. The I taped it down and it kept the drill from skating around on the glass:

Oct2007drillingNovsnow004.jpg

You want something on the other side of the glass so the piece tht falls out doesn't crack the other end of the tank:
Oct2007drillingNovsnow001.jpg

Drilling the hole. It took around 15 minutes to get though, and I wore out one battery during that time, so beware.
Oct2007drillingNovsnow005.jpg

Oct2007drillingNovsnow006.jpg

The hole is not beautiful, I did get some chipping on the inside and will need some silicone.
Oct2007drillingNovsnow007.jpg

OOPS! You bought a schedule 40 bulkhead and sized the hole for a schedule 80 bulkhead. A week and another $26 later, my beautiful bulkhead.

Oct2007fidktsnk011.jpg

Oct2007fidktsnk010.jpg

I had an epiphany, I think. I'm going to run the return line along the same wall as the drains rather than up and over the door to the laundry room and back down to the tank. Even though the pipes will have to jog left and right, avoiding the up and over will save me money in electricity every month...won't it?
All the holes in the wall will be vertically aligned, too, which appeals to me somehow.
Now if only I could capture the heat from the dryer vent to heat the water in winter, I'd be all set!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jim, I see you didn't use water when drilling the hole. Did you have any heat issues doing it that way? I know most folks who drill use water to cool the hole as it is being drilled. Did you drill more slowly instead?

If avoiding the up and over allows you to run a smaller pump then I'd say there'd be a cost savings. Otherwise it probably won't matter much. Now harnessing the heat in the winter would be a great bonus!

I have read and read and read RC posts on drilling glass, and I don't think any liquid is needed when using diamond drills. There has been a lot of mythology over the years (use oil, use antifreeze, use water). Some of this comes from mistaken observations of seeing how glass shops drill. Some (all?) glass shops drill with a plain copper cylinder bit. They build up a wall of putty around the spot and add an abrasive powder and oil to suspend it in the little pit. Using the Chinese bits from eBay is different because they have diamonds on them. They are basically disposable, too. I have drilled about 8 holes with one of my bits and the process gets slower every time! Last night I drilled for my skimmer pump and it took like 30 minutes to get through the glass. (it was a 55G tank and pretty thick). My best glass hole ever. I took breaks every 10 minutes or so and felt the drill at that time, it was never more than very warm. I used compressed air to blow the dust off the drillsite and get a feeling for progress. Goggles are a must, natch. Changed battery packs three times on the drill, you need to have extras or a plug-in drill.
It's OK to drill fast when you are in the middle of the process. You can't at the beginning because the drill will skate on the glass (duh), and you shouldn't at the end because as the glass gets thinner you don't want to transfer a lot of energy to the glass or it will break out prematurely and chip, crack, etc. You can usually feel when the drill starts to get through the glass. Then you have to go pretty slow.
On this hole I drilled from the inside to the outside, which is really the way to go. I had the tank wall resting directly on a board so the work was supported at that critical last moment when the hole separates.
Whew. Well that's what I know about drilling glass. :p

I applied generous silicone to the 2" bulkhead hole, and screwed it on, and tightened up the 1" bulkhead, then leak-tested after it dried. No leaks. Well, 1 drop in 24 hrs out of the big hole, I consider that good luck.
Began to glue the return piping. I decided to put a union in the middle and found I needed a slip-threaded 1.5" adaptor, so I'm going to Home Despot tonight.
I bought some clear PVC a while back and have decided to install a removable clear section in the drain line, just for laffs. (I would have a union at each end of 2 interchangeable pieces so it could be swapped out.). What a wildman.
Once the plumbing is done I can run freshwater in the system to (A) find out if my almost-year-old aquarium leaks, (B) Find all the leaks in the plumbing, (C) Hear the horrific gurgling in the pipes, and (D) Figure out how high my sump level needs to be so I can install the requisite baffles.
In the words of Jean Shepherd, "Excelsior, you Fathead!"

jimroth said:
I bought some clear PVC a while back and have decided to install a removable clear section in the drain line, just for laffs. (I would have a union at each end of 2 interchangeable pieces so it could be swapped out.). What a wildman.

Man, I gotta party with you! :eek:

Speaking of which, if I had known about clear PVC when I was in college, I woulda been in BUSINESS! Knowhattamean? Little drilling, a few other (metal) parts and BHANG! You have a salable product.
I'm thinking about buying some of the 6" clear PVC and making THE WORLD'S LARGEST BIRDFEEDER. I think I could make a Droll-Yankee style feeder that would hold 25lbs of seed. Have to hang it from steel cable, though.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a better idea...Why not get some water in that freaking tank already?! I didn't stand around, eat pizza and drink beer so you can make birdfeeders! :p

and I'll take one of those birdfeeders if you start making them

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ReefDrumz said:
I have a better idea...Why not get some water in that freaking tank already?! I didn't stand around, eat pizza and drink beer so you can make birdfeeders! :p

LOL.

ReefDrumz said:

OOO, harsh! :eek:
Hey, I'm working on this bad boy almost every day now. I has momentum! I has a fully drilled house and sump! I has a wife who's working a full-time job again to pay for this all!
Gettin' close to the wet-down. I keep running out of plumbing parts like unions and it's off to home depot again.
The other day I realized how freaking long it's going to take to make 260G of RO water.

Hey, I'll put you down for the second one I make!