• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Joe's Juice - successful AND safe?

Has anyone had experience with Joe's Juice near SPS? There's a couple threads and it seems like it'***** or miss on the aptasia, but for those of you that had success killing the aptasia, did you have any fallout with your corals. One popped up for the first time, I think it was a hitchhiker on some LR I bought off craiglist (teaches me not to quarantine the LR!!). The little bugger is near my Monti Cap and a millipora and I'm not sure if it's worth the risk.

I have used Aiptasia X around my corals with success. I have heard Joe's juice is effective but can throw off your PH if it is used extensively all at once. Clearly this will not be the case for you.

I guess I personally would be more concerned that the aiptasia would sting my corals then the impacts Joe's juice would have on the corals.

Just my 2 cents.

N

njstillwell

Re: Joe's Juice - successful AND safe?

your corals will be fine if you read the bottle it says will not harm coral .you will be ok to use it next to any type of coral lps/sps/softies/zoas.

I'ved used JJ and it works OK. Kalk works just as well and is cheaper. Hit the aptasia after the lights are off and the other corals are closed up for the night. Turn off your pumps and try to get right in the mouth for the best results.

john90009

NJRC Member
One problem i have is that i have a few small aptaisa that i dont want to grow, I heard some bad stories of aptasia x about it working but then in three months they come back with a fury, Then again it is possible to happen when you inject it with anything, My problem is i dont have a metal needle to get in the anemone and inject only ones i have are the plastic ones from salifert test kits, any ideas how i can use this?

N

njstillwell

you never really inject the apatsia with a needle. you are just simply squirting it into the mouth of it and around the edges is what i have always done for eliminating them.I have tried both joes juice and aiptasia x with the aiptasia growing back withing weeks not months just keep hitting them when they grow back they will get the idea or move to somewhere you cant see them.but the salifert test kit plastic needle is fine just do as i instructed.

The aptasia will come back if you don't get right in the mouth and you usually end up more smaller ones. You can keep injecting them with the kalk or you could try peppermint shrimp or berghenia nudibranchs.

Thanks Jcurry. Yea, I've heard about the Berghia's. Couple things though...1) where do you get them? I've never seen them in LFS. And 2) I heard that once they eat the aptasia, they starve to death.

Hey, we should start a "Berghia" pass-around program ... keep the buggers for a couple weeks, then pass it to the next guy on the list ?? :)

Absolutely Fish has them every now and then. I got my berghias from Salty Underground (http://www.saltyunderground.com/). I'm not really sure if they worked. My tank tank was covered in aptasia after unsuccessfully trying kalk & Joe's Juice them. So I added 3 berghia, 6 peppermint shrimp and a Copper Band Butterfly all at once. After 3-4 months the tank was cleaned up.