• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

June Meeting - photo geniuses - i could use your advice

So tomorrow I am picking up a used Canon 30D from my brother-in-law at a steal. Him being a single guy and all and all that disposable cash (ahhh those were the days).

Anyways - I know Olivier/monroe reef you guys have some serious gear and would love input advice.

9supratt4/hurtback/phyl/magic/brian - if you're coming - will also ask too!

Anyways - my next step is to get glass. I was thinking a 55-200 mm tamron or sigma. Or should I spend the money on the canon glass? I know phyl doesn't like the 3rd party lenses.

I realize almost all of you are nikonians but the principle around the lenses should still be the same!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I am surprised that the NJRC filters don’t take out cuss words, such as “Canon.” There are those amongst us who feel this is a demonic word. Just for clarification, I have a ***** F1 from the good-old film days. Too bad I couldn’t use the lens I have from that baby on one of these newer digital models.

oh boy,
canon F1 with motor and all is a legend by itself. equivalent in Nikon F body. these primative (compare to my age) cameras is built like a tank even T52 can not crush it. these cameras back then built to be a tool and a self-defense weapon for photo journalist in case they get caught in fishy situation.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Phil

I will go with the canon lens. Do not go cheap on this. You will use it for ever. tamron is an OK lens but you should look at the canon.
I still belive that nikon is a better camera though : ;D

Sunny

Phil,
are any lenses included with the camera ?
canon, Nikon Fuji,pentax---all good cameras
i work in the pro camera repair dept for Fuji, not repairing them but phone support for photographers ( from all over the world )who are having issues with the camera, need to ask questions about the cameras, and they send them in to me from all over the world to be repaired --- so i ONLY know the Fuji cameras !!!
you should go with the best glass you can afford ---- if you have a canon camera, then canon glass ----but, there are other names out there that do make good glass ---tamron makes a good 18-270 mm ( macro i think also) lens for around $500-$600--- from what I've read---i don't have it yet
it also depends on what exactly you want to use the camera for---family stuff, making money with the equipment, taking images of your tank
there are, as i am sure you know, many different types/brands of lens on the market ---don't rush to buy something, research it, check prices all over and compare ---borrow if you can, this way you can actually see/feel how the lens works----
there are places you can ' rent ' a lens , very cheap, this way you can see if you like the lens

you can buy crappy Nikon and canon lens's, I know any Nikon lens with ' ED' in the description will be a good/expensive lens ---not sure about the canon lens ---dont fall for a ' deal ' like an 18-300 mm Nikon lens for $199.99---

Steve

so judging from the comments so far - the glass itself will actually cost far more than the camera body ever will....oh that'll go over well with the wife. HAHAHA. And we said the reef hobby is expensive! it's a cupcake compared to the wedding cake photography is!

Hawkeye said:
so judging from the comments so far - the glass itself will actually cost far more than the camera body ever will....oh that'll go over well with the wife. HAHAHA. And we said the reef hobby is expensive! it's a cupcake compared to the wedding cake photography is!

with reefing YOUR ALWAYS SPENDING $$$$

with photography once you buy a lens or 2 your done.....
some lens cost a few hundred, some lens cost thousands --- it just depends on what you want to photograph
steve

rodclement said:
Phil,

For my money and for our hobby, Canon makes a 100 f2.8 macro lens that is by far the best deal they have! It is not a "L" series so you save good money there and the glass is superb! You can find them used for about $250

Here is the link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/194451-GREY/Canon_4657A006_100mm_f_2_8_USM_Macro.html

Rod

is this lens work with canon DSLR? some old lens don't work with new body.

yes. 100mm Micro/macro lens from canon is a great lens specially with f2.8.

hurtback said:
Hawkeye said:

with reefing YOUR ALWAYS SPENDING $$$$

with photography once you buy a lens or 2 your done.....
some lens cost a few hundred, some lens cost thousands --- it just depends on what you want to photograph
steve

Steve,
I find myself and other photographers always spend $$ on lens. yes. good lens last a lifetime if it well taking a good care of.

my 2cents to Phil is that DO NOT BUY CHEAP LENS. it's only get you frustrate and regret every time its in your hand. spend money one instead of twice. a second hand lens will do just fine but get a pro version lens such as constant f stop (F 2.8).

Olivier

Well the pics are a lot sharper - but I need help understanding this.

Here's the canon 30d.

IMG_3299.jpg

30d after photoshop lightening:
IMG_3299_photoshoped.jpg

and the old point and shoot:
IMG_6707.jpg

Hawkeye said:
Well the pics are a lot sharper - but I need help understanding this.

Here's the canon 30d.

IMG_3299.jpg

30d after photoshop lightening:
IMG_3299_photoshoped.jpg

and the old point and shoot:
IMG_6707.jpg

white balance setting.

yes - i need help figuring that out. I see a wheel to adjust the iso and white balance - but not clear how to use it. I'll have to test it but would be great to have someone show me...lol. right now the camera is getting charged.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phil did you get the canon software as well? it is very good to use with the digic processors in your camera, it converts better than older versions of photoshop.

rod

Phil , I always tell people when I'm on the phone with them---read the instructions---read the instructions while you have the camera in your hands---once you have the buttons and menus figured out---practice, practice,practice---your shooting digital---once you've seen what you've shot---delete it and try again---that's the beauty of digital---you can shoot,delete,shoot , delete, shoot, delete
if you didn't get the book with the camera, go the the canon website and dl it and read it--believe me, that instruction book is a valuable piece of literature
have fun and shoot...........

steve

rodclement said:
Phil did you get the canon software as well? it is very good to use with the digic processors in your camera, it converts better than older versions of photoshop.

rod
i got everything that came with the original box - packaging and all. Gotta love my brother-in-law - he keeps everything in case he decides to go to ebay. I didn't know the canon software is better than adobe - I'm used to adobe (didn't you notice the beach pics...hahah) but I guess I can learn more software. Adobe is a hog on the space too.

redfishbluefish said:
I am surprised that the NJRC filters don’t take out cuss words, such as “Canon.” There are those amongst us who feel this is a demonic word. Just for clarification, I have a ***** F1 from the good-old film days. Too bad I couldn’t use the lens I have from that baby on one of these newer digital models.

we coudl configure it so that everything posted by you says " bla blah bla". ;D ;D ;D ;D

JUST JOKING. Although that would be useful for some people post-moderation...HAHAH. See the crazy things I can come up with if i were super-mod? LOL.

monroereef said:
Phil

I will go with the canon lens. Do not go cheap on this. You will use it for ever. tamron is an OK lens but you should look at the canon.
I still belive that nikon is a better camera though : ;D
yeah - i know we talked about that. I wanted a nikon d90 but the cost was just not fitting my overall budget. Plus going this route I might be able swing the L series lense my brother-in-law left me to try out. He's evil - gets all kinds of toys and then makes me want them!

hurtback said:
Phil,
are any lenses included with the camera ?

Standard lense - EFS 17-85mm.

Also (not part of my purchase) - my brother-in-law lent me a "Canon zoom lens EF 24-70mm. L series lens".
I hate him - he leaves me these nice toys only to tempt me. Sometimes being ignorant would save me so much money. Like if I only knew about maxi-jets instead of Tunze/ecovortech etc.

hurtback said:
Phil , I always tell people when I'm on the phone with them---read the instructions---read the instructions
hahhaha - i know. But I am the type of guy that rips open a package and messes around with it. If I can't figure it out - I then read the dreaded manual. LOL. Anyways - i'd be testing the camera but the battery ran out. Hmmm - i think it's charged now...i'll be off line for a bit. ;)

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not saying that it is better than Adobe...just saying that for importing the pictures and for some adjustments, their software works really well since it is designed to work with the DIGIC processor only, like a matted pair of clownfish... ;D

Also if you shoot RAW at all, their converter is better than most second market stuff out there.

Rod