• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

June meeting question "Glueing corals"

I was at the meeting and RichT used some type of liquid glue with Aquastik epoxy putty. Can someone please tell me what type of liquid he use? Can I use liquid crazy glue with the putty instead?

Super glue GEL works best, and is available at Lowe's, Home Depot, WalMart, and I believe the cheapest place is either Walgreens or CVS. :)

---
Wendy

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Also I think the club might have some extra glue and hardner left over from the groupe buy.

mikem said:
Also I think the club might have some extra glue and hardner left over from the groupe buy.

I wish I had known. I would had purchase some. But I need some today. Thanks JerseyWendy, I am heading to CVS within the hour. I will be posting more questions on the right way to glue the corals. Though it was well explained at the meeting, I will need someones help and opinion.

As you can see I was very fortunate to win some of these at the meeting and also fortunate to meet some reefers that gave me the Caps and the Kenya trees.

OrangeCap1.jpg

PurpleCap1.jpg

Frog_Spawn_LPS1.jpg

Zoas1.jpg

KenyaTree.jpg

Trumpet3.jpg

Plug.jpg

I know that the caps I can put on the plugs horizontal or vertical, but I think that the rest is to big for the plugs. Does the Frog Spawn and the Trumpet need to be up horizontal so that they can get some light?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The trumpet and frogspawn don't even ned to be glued. You can just set them in a crevice in the rock work. But yes the polyps do have to be up so they can get the light.

The zoas can be glued to a plug or a small piece of rock, just make sure the polyps are also facing up.

panmanmatt said:
The trumpet and frogspawn don't even ned to be glued. You can just set them in a crevice in the rock work. But yes the polyps do have to be up so they can get the light.

The zoas can be glued to a plug or a small piece of rock, just make sure the polyps are also facing up.

Actually, I believe, that the corals of the Euphyllia species - Frogspawn, Hammer, Torch and Fine Grapes, to name the most common species, need to be placed horizontally, in medium light, medium current and "dirty" water. Of course what "medium" is, is open to discussion :), but that is where and how they are found in their natural environment.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Horizontally? No kidding... Ok that's a shocker. Although most of mine are at 45* angles from sticking out of spots in the rockwork.

thumb_540_28_06_07_9_42_47.gif

Though, in this article, Bob Fenner is addressing some problems of the Elegance coral in specific, his arguments are taking in the consideration the whole Caryophyllidae family, whose members include genus Euphyllia:

http://wetwebfotos.com/Home?actionRequest=articleView&articleID=294

That being said, I think that corals themselves will be the best judge how to put them, by observing in which direction they will grow and what are they going to follow:

1) Light - towards/away
2) Water current - towards/away
3) Gravity - vertically/horizontally

thumb_540_28_06_07_9_42_47.gif

I find the horizontal/vertical description confusing. The mouths should face up on most Euphyllias. My frogspawns are all up or tilted about 45 degrees. There are varieties of hammers called wall hammers that do well at a 90 degree angle.

Fenner's article describes my 75g lps system fairly well, although my nitrates are generally zero.

The one thing I disagree with him on is target feeding. Growth rates do improve with target feedings.

Ricwilli, where do you live? I'm in Woodbridge and have some extra club glue.

I think that might be the frag of frogspawn from my tank - it was on the bottom of my tank under PC lights sticking straight into the sand with the mouth anywhere from straight up to 45 degrees (depending upon the branch). It should open up beautifully to about a silver-dollar size head when it becomes acclimated. If it doesn't, just move it until it finds the right home with flow and light to make it happy.

OK, I am new to this and my tank has been up and running for four months now with only live rocks. The algae phase has recently passed. All of the corals pictured aboved has been the first corals ever in the tank. That being said, I do not feed anything since I never had anything. Do the above corals need any type of food?

blange3, I am located in Roselle Park. Not too too far from Woodbridge. I went out last night and purchased some super glue gel which JerseyGirl recommended. I read the instructions and it says that it dries within seconds. I am affraid that if I mix that glue with the epoxy putty, I might not have enough time to put it on the plug and coral.

You'll have enough time. :) I play with the super glue gel all the time, and you'll have a good 30 seconds before it starts hardening up, longer if you do it under water.

---
Wendy

what no love for my purple shrooms? ;)

jk.......just do as they showed in the demo is works great and you will have about 30-45 seconds befor you have to worry about it drying.
i used the same meathod to glue down my monti-cap and it worked like a charm....
just be careful not to push to hard youo can break the monti-cap very easily
happy reefing/fragging........al

ok so i got some frags last night, monti cap, kenya tree, pink birdnest and elkhorn and i used crazyglue gel to put them on frag disks and they satyed al night then i checked about an hour later and they were all seperated from the glue. how did this happen and what did i do wrong so i know next time. they were all on the bottom of the tank and it seemed like it happend after the Mh lights went on. the elkhorn was the only one i didn't glu because it was already attached with epoxy (putty). i'm pretty sure that what it was, but it and they all came off. so now i just found some crevices and suck and stuck them in those. i can't find the kenya tree frag though. it's in there somewhere. ???

kenya tree can be attached with a rubberband or thread should take a day or two. or stick it in a crevice with very low flow so it does not get dislodged.
as for the others use super glue gelit works great for attaching frags to rock, just make shure the frag and rock are dry (better adheasion) and let it dry a few seconds then set in water to let it cure.

i do this in a small dish of tank water until fully cured so that the hermit crabs dont move them or wiggle them loose befor they set.

gl.......happy reefing...al

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Crazy glue/super glue. One is the brand, the other the product. Either is ok as long as it is cyanoacrylate.