• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

K9's 10 Gallon Quarantine Tank

I'm setting up a ten gallon tank as a quarantine tank while I get my 80 gallon DT set up. So far so good. It's currently cycling. Last reading, 3/9, was ammonia of 0 and nitrites of 2. Waiting on nitrites to drop before I test for nitrates.

Equipment:
  1. Acrylic 10 gallon tank- gifted
  2. Aqueon quietflow 10- gifted
  3. Nicrew A30 Reef LED purchased from @MaximusReef
  4. Small dead rock pieces from @MaximusReef
  5. Large dead rock- gifted
  6. 40w heater preset to 78 degrees F- gifted
  7. Jebao RW4 from amazon set to lowest sine wave setting
  8. Groot to watch over the tank
If I ever find a good deal on a higher flow HOB filter, I plan on switching the aqueon out. Ideally something quiet.

The main problem I am having right now is that my sand is turning black in some spots. I didnt have the HOB filter there before and I'm hoping that introducing it will create more O2 flow. Any comments or feedback would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2219.JPG
    IMG_2219.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2220.JPG
    IMG_2220.JPG
    696 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2221.JPG
    IMG_2221.JPG
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 5

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Everything looks good.
I would not add rocks or sand to a qt tank.
Groot is also not a good idea.
Plumbing pvc is better you can throw it away when
You introduce new fish.

Fair enough. I can see the cons to having that in a QT. Ill probably let the rock and sand cycle and then use the rock to seed my DT rock.

biospira will instantly cycle your tank - like instantly. but i'd use it a few days before adding copper or any medication - those meds will sometimes slow down the cycle.

save the light for something else too - fish are sensitive to light when under stress. unless you plan to qt corals there but thatd have to be fishless. my other advice is not to overfill that tank. you are looking at maybe 1 or 2 fish in there for qt at a time. i do rocks in my qt but they do require extra work, i never use sand in any tanks.

for my qt i also like to add a uv sterilizer jbj nano is like $30. uv can be deadly with some coppers so be careful if you go that route.

for hob i always get deals between, chewy, petsmart and petco. petco and petsmart will match chewy prices so many times you dont have to wait for shipping. chewy usually has one of the biowheels on sale and the whisper. i bought a bunch of whisper40i for 18$

finally for definitive advice on qt, visit humbfish website - very helpful over there for disease id, qt schedules, use and dosage of medications.

locally pet word 88 has a lot of medications but not everything. definitely research what you'll buy and get proper medicines ahead of time. i know this can be hard but you can ask the pet shop to hold the fish for a week while you gather up what ypu need.

some fish are more difficult to qt, others are prone to specific types of disease etc