• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Kalk reactor maintenace

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Now that everybody has their Kalk reactors, I was wondering what is the proper way to change the solution inside.

Do you make up a new solution and just dump it in the reactor on top of the old solution, or do you flush out the entire reactor of the old solution, and then refill with a fresh batch of Kalk. Thanks!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
dnov99 said:
Now that everybody has their Kalk reactors, I was wondering what is the proper way to change the solution inside.

Do you make up a new solution and just dump it in the reactor on top of the old solution, or do you flush out the entire reactor of the old solution, and then refill with a fresh batch of Kalk. Thanks!

The way we do it is really easy. We unscrew the plug in the top and use a piece of 1/2" vinyl hose to siphon out about 1/3 of the water into a small plastic busket. We then add a good amount (maybe 1/2#) of kalkwasser powder into the bucket and mix it with a short piece of PVC pipe. We then use the top half of a plastic water bottle as funnel and pour the solution back into the top hole. When just about every bit is back in the reactor, we tighten the plug back in place and we're done. That's it. It takes less than 2 minutes total. It actually took me longer to write this than it does to do it!

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Thanks John, that seems much easier than emptying the whole reactor, which is what I was going to do.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just bear in mind that the solution is going to have a PH up around 14 when you create it, so be careful with it. Keep your hands out of it, don't pour any leftovers into the tank, yada yada.