• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Kalkwasser experience / opinions

Hi all,
Currently running a doser on my display with esv b ionic 2 part with good results but for my new frag system I was considering using kalk which I've never used before. Anyone care to share their experiences with it? How are you using it? ( Ato, dosing pump, etc..) thanks!

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I replied this on someone else post.
From my Expirience using kalkwasser is that it’s very hard on pumps. Using it on a ato is also a problem because you don’t evaporate the same amount of water all the time.
So you have days that you dose more than other and there is no way to make sure you are dosing consistent amounts of kalkwasser.

For a frag tank I would rather you use a small single dosing pump. BRS dosing pump is cheap and effective. You can dose “all for reef” from tropic Marin it will dose all your needs for that tank with just one dosing pump.

I replied this on someone else post.
From my Expirience using kalkwasser is that it’s very hard on pumps. Using it on a ato is also a problem because you don’t evaporate the same amount of water all the time.
So you have days that you dose more than other and there is no way to make sure you are dosing consistent amounts of kalkwasser.

For a frag tank I would rather you use a small single dosing pump. BRS dosing pump is cheap and effective. You can dose “all for reef” from tropic Marin it will dose all your needs for that tank with just one dosing pump.

Main reason I was leaning toward kalk is for the pH increase, but all reef looks promising too but without the pH boost. Have you used all for reef before?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I use Kalk and have used it since day 1. Right now I'm on the BRS pharm blend. For me, I'm mix it straight into my ato, and have it dosed into my tank

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Main reason I was leaning toward kalk is for the pH increase, but all reef looks promising too but without the pH boost. Have you used all for reef before?

It’s never a good idea to chase pH it’s been proven that corals can grow in any ph 7.8. -8.5. I am just giving another choice instead of kalk. You will find that you can have good results using different methods. I personally don’t like kalkwasser.

Its hard to balance with your ato since its inconsistent, but if your corals are in the more forgiving side, and you test regularly, you can adjust as it goes. Probably not recommended if you need very stable parameters.

for kalkwasser you can use a dosing pump and dose small amounts, it all depends on the size of your tank, for my 120g i dose about 1L of kalkwaser at night to help me stabilize the ph a little bit, and I dose a liter because I know my tank evaporates around 1g a day.
Gabe